How did you change the High Profile Preset for the better?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
codeblue2k

How did you change the High Profile Preset for the better?

Post by codeblue2k »

So I have been using the default High Profile preset for a while now and its been turning out some decent videos. But I would love to know how you adjusted that preset to improve the over all quality of your videos.
Bantha

Re: How did you change the High Profile Preset for the bette

Post by Bantha »

Wanting to know based smaller filesize? If so, first have to know I use Video Quality as CRF 20 using x264. As for the Advanced tab, I change the B-Frames to 6, enable Pyramidal B-Frames, and change Trellis to 0. This provided the max filesize savings while preserving speed and maintaining quality. Anything else I changed might have shrunk the filesize by about 1-2 MB (for a 2 hour movie) but doubled the time it took to process the video. Someone mentioned changing B-Frames to 12 for "simple animation" (i.e. Simpsons, Family Guy, etc, NOT Titan A.E.). I did this, and it saved me a whole 1 MB for a 90 minute cartoon while taking almost 50% more time to process the video.
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

Slow but high quality (paste in advanced commandline box):
ref=6:mixed-refs=1:b-adapt=2:bframes=6:weightb=1:direct=auto:me=umh:subq=9:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:trellis=2:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=1,0:merange=24:deblock=-2,-2:rc-lookahead=50:aq-strength=1.2:b-pyramid=1
A bit faster and slightly lower quality:
ref=6:mixed-refs=1:b-adapt=2:bframes=6:weightb=1:direct=spatial:me=umh:subq=8:8x8dct=1:trellis=1:psy-rd=1,0:merange=16:deblock=-2,-2:aq-strength=1:b-pyramid=1
Last edited by creamyhorror on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codeblue2k

Post by codeblue2k »

Im not to worried about file size really. All of my movies are currently in non compressed ISOs. So im just more concerned with getting the best quality video possible, size would just be a plus but not required.
codeblue2k

Post by codeblue2k »

creamyhorror wrote:Slow but high quality (paste in advance commandline box):
ref=6:mixed-refs=1:b-adapt=2:bframes=6:weightb=1:direct=auto:me=umh:subq=9:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:trellis=2:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=1,0:merange=24:deblock=-2,-2:rc-lookahead=50:aq-strength=1.2:b-pyramid=1
A bit faster:
ref=6:mixed-refs=1:b-adapt=2:bframes=6:weightb=1:direct=spatial:me=umh:subq=8:8x8dct=1:trellis=1:psy-rd=1,0:merange=16:deblock=-2,-2:aq-strength=1:b-pyramid=1
Awesome thanks! I will give both a shot and see how they turn out. Would you be willing to quickly explain the difference between the two? Just so I have a better understanding of whats going on.
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

codeblue2k wrote: Awesome thanks! I will give both a shot and see how they turn out. Would you be willing to quickly explain the difference between the two? Just so I have a better understanding of whats going on.
I just reduced some of the higher settings in the first commandline, trying to remove the less time/bitrate-efficient ones first. See the x264 wiki for details on what each does:

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings

Remember that RF value is the main determinant of quality, so you can just reduce that if you want better quality. Don't go too far, though...less than 17 is mostly useless, and some people will tell you not to bother with anything below 19.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

codeblue2k wrote:Im not to worried about file size really. All of my movies are currently in non compressed ISOs. So im just more concerned with getting the best quality video possible, size would just be a plus but not required.
If this is an honest statement just keep the original DVD rips.
codeblue2k

Post by codeblue2k »

mduell wrote:
codeblue2k wrote:Im not to worried about file size really. All of my movies are currently in non compressed ISOs. So im just more concerned with getting the best quality video possible, size would just be a plus but not required.
If this is an honest statement just keep the original DVD rips.
It is a real statement, ISO's are not really compatible with multiple devices. I cant throw a ISO on a iPhone or iPad to watch on a trip. I just wanted a more versatile file that can go on a few more devices without having to have multiple versions of the same movie
Bantha

Post by Bantha »

When you make a movie for "other" devices, you have to be careful about things. Such as the resolution of the playback device and aspect ratio of it. What you create that looks good on the PC or TV may look like crap on something else. Also you have to take into consideration that other mobile devices may not have the horsepower to playback these more complicated compressed video files. May have to turn off some features (=larger video file) to make them playable at proper fps.