1 dvd 24 titles 1 file

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Curtix

1 dvd 24 titles 1 file

Post by Curtix »

I cant figure out how to do it.
I end up with 24 files.
I want to get all 24 titles (its a homemade dvd) to output to one movie.
What am I missing!
Thanks!
Cool tool by the way.
Deleted User 11865

Re: 1 dvd 24 titles 1 file

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You can't. You'll have to join the files either before or after encoding.
Curtix wrote:(its a homemade dvd)
Unless it was recorded by a camcorder that writes directly to a DVD (in which case the source is a DVD), you might want to encode from the source rather than the compressed DVD.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Easiest way is to concatenate all the VOB files on the DVD into one file then feed that to Handbrake. If you want chapters for each clip you'll have to create a text file with the appropriate contents.
Bantha

Post by Bantha »

NeroVision (part of Nero Suite) (not free) ( http://www.nero.com/ ) is perfect for this. Use this to combine all the titles to one, then you can tell it to create a chapter for where the title-breaks are. After this, load it in Handbrake.
Curtix

Post by Curtix »

Can you give me some tips on the cat of the VOB.
What tool can I use to pull that off.
Thanks!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

In Windows you can use the built in copy command.

copy /b VTS_01_01.VOB+VTS_01_02.VOB+VTS_02_01.VOB+VTS_02_02.VOB+VTS_03_01.VOB megafile.vob
Bantha

Post by Bantha »

mduell, at first I thought you were blowing smoke up his dress, but then I decide to try what you stated about copying the VOBs into one, and I was surprised to say the least that it worked. Video was seen, audio was heard, and the total time of the video was all the videos combined. One thing though, only the 1st audio track was available for playback (all the other audio streams were not there) and also lost all subtitles streams. This I assume is because there is no IFO file to accompany this new VOB file. If these are not an issue for someone's project, then go for it.
Last edited by Bantha on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

You *ought* to be able to solve that problem by first demuxing all the streams and then concatenating all the various parts together and remuxing them. Look at tsmuxer (freeware) or some such and see if it will do what you need (it would on other file types -- don't know if it supports VOB or not but I'm guessing it does). Choose demux and you'll end up with the various soundtracks and subtitles separated (as well as video).

To remux you can use tsmuxer but if you want to go to an mkv container (recommended) I'd use mkvmerge. (To make a VOB I don't know what you'd use, but I assume there is *something* out there that will do it. Once again, I never use this format so I'm not sure about the details).
Bantha

Post by Bantha »

Oh, I bet you use VOB a lot more than you realize. It's the container for DVD video/audio/sub-titles/etc. ;)
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

Nope -- don't use it at all (strictly blu-ray here).
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Bantha wrote:mduell, at first I thought you were blowing smoke up his dress, but then I decide to try what you stated about copying the VOBs into one, and I was surprised to say the least that it worked. Video was seen, audio was heard, and the total time of the video was all the videos combined.
As if I would do such a thing. Welcome to the wonderful world of MPEG Program Streams.
Bantha wrote:One thing though, only the 1st audio track was available for playback (all the other audio streams were not there) and also lost all subtitles streams. This I assume is because there is no IFO file to accompany this new VOB file. If these are not an issue for someone's project, then go for it.
Given that the OP is starting with a homemade DVD I'm not too worried about alternate audio, subtitles, chapters, etc. But AFAIK all the audio tracks should be available if they're present in the first clip and consistently identified.
Bantha

Post by Bantha »

Oh, you're right about him doing it for his homevideos. I was thinking along the lines of TV shows from DVDs that I own, like Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc....