cygwin1.dll doens't want to work?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
endGame

cygwin1.dll doens't want to work?

Post by endGame »

recently, my computer was hit with a trojan...and although my antivirus caught it, i guess it was able to do some small damages. besides other things, this in particular bugged me. after i cleaned the computer, i try to run the Handbrake Windows GUI. it works, but when it trys to run a dvd or an iso, the command line client launches and IMMEDIATELY closes, meaning no reading of the drive/image whatsoever. so i tried running the cli on its own, and i got this message:

19 [main] ? (2428) D:\Handbrake\hbcli.exe: *** fatal error - system shared
memory version mismatch detected - 0x75BE0074/0x2D1E009C.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.

that's odd...i don't have another cygwin1.dll anywhere else. i tried rebooting, installing a fresh copy of handbrake, even booting off of windows cd and reinstalling everything. handbrake had worked before i was struck with the trojan. what else could i look for here?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You sure you don't have cygwin installed?

You could try downloading the latest dll from the cygwin site and placeing it in your install directoty.
http://www.cygwin.com/
endGame

Post by endGame »

yeah i'm quite sure. but i'll give that a try.

nevermind. i just reformatted the system and handbrake works again. what that virus did to cripple it i'll never know.