Can't install over Remote Desktop (RDP)

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hidden72

Can't install over Remote Desktop (RDP)

Post by hidden72 »

I have a "headless" Windows XP machine that I regularly access over RDP/Remote Desktop. I downloaded handbrake v2.23 to this headless machine today and attempted to install. After asking me where to install it, I get this error message:

Installer Information
Handbrake can not be installed on systems with screen resolution smaller than 800x600. (ok)

If I click ok, then "Handbrake setup ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again."

This particular RDP session is set for full screen resolution, 1680x1050. I've tried other "fixed" resolutions above 800x600 to no avail. It seems as though the installer is unable to determine the screen resolution through an RDP session.

Is there any installation switch that will ignore the resolution requirement? If not, please log it as a bug. Thanks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Is there any installation switch that will ignore the resolution requirement?
Not as far as I know.
If not, please log it as a bug. Thanks.
This lies outside the realm of Handbrake and possibly the installer too so Its not something I intend to look at.

I suppose you could extract the installed and just dump the files where you want them.
hidden72

Post by hidden72 »

sr55 wrote: I suppose you could extract the installed and just dump the files where you want them.
Duh. I took the installation directory from a successful install and just copied it over to the headless machine. Made myself a shortcut and it started right up. Seems to be encoding fine. Thanks for the pointer.