Select DVD Source and nothing Happens

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Everyone, Make sure you all have admin privs assigned to handbrake on Vista systems. It simply won't work if you don't

Right Click Icon > Properties > look for an option to give admin privs.

Also make sure you are not using an encrypted video source. HB win does not support these.

I have fixes for:
1. View DVD Information causing the program to stall
2. DVD Title dropdown not clearing old contents when scanning a new dvd.

I'll probably have these out later today. I've looked over the parsing code for the scanning procedure and I can't see anything wrong as of yet. It doesn't help I've not been able to re-produce this error.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

When you click browse, Select the video_ts folder

Press OK on the window that pops up. Can you check to see if hbcli.exe is running on the task manager.

Ctrl - alt - del (on the keyboard)
Click Task Manager
Click the processes tab
look for hbcli

Let me know if its there. If it is and there is not a item for it on the task bar its probably crashed.

Also, If anyone can let me know which DVD's this is happening on I'll check to see if I have them and try to re-produce the error.

Lastly, I assume you are all selecting the video_ts folder on DVD's right?
streetr8cer13

Post by streetr8cer13 »

ive been able to rectify the issue by simply realizing that i wasnt giving it admin privliges in vista, so ive got it all running fine using anydvd HD and its all good.

i do not know as for the others who seem to be having similar issues but dont all seem to be vista related
TheCount

Post by TheCount »

Well I just downloaded 3.24 and at the risk of jynxing it, it seems to be working, I'm in the process of converting a DVD right now. It didn't take one second and say job done, so I'm hopeful it will work out. Whatever you changed seems to have done the trick.

I did try giving HB Admin privilages on the old version, but whenever I clicked view dvd info, it would stall like you said, that problem seems to be fixed now.
sr55 wrote:When you click browse, Select the video_ts folder

Press OK on the window that pops up. Can you check to see if hbcli.exe is running on the task manager.

Ctrl - alt - del (on the keyboard)
Click Task Manager
Click the processes tab
look for hbcli

Let me know if its there. If it is and there is not a item for it on the task bar its probably crashed.

Also, If anyone can let me know which DVD's this is happening on I'll check to see if I have them and try to re-produce the error.

Lastly, I assume you are all selecting the video_ts folder on DVD's right?
Chronicoco

Post by Chronicoco »

Yea answering to sr55's last message, when i run the program and run the video_ts folder, the command promnt comes up for a split second. Everytime I tried this out i had the command promnt come out for diffrent seconds... ( One time i managed to click it and it was blank go figure...) k so back to the topic after doing ctrl alt del I couldn't find it in the proccess so... yea don't know what's happening. And yea i used video_ts folder like I mentioned above. Hope someone finds a solution soon cuz i rly need to start ripping sum movies thx. btw i was trying to rip the lord of the rings on dvd.
brisully

Post by brisully »

Hey all, I just want to put it out there in case this helps anyone: I thought I had this same problem too (nothing happens when I click "encode video", etc.), but it turns out I was doing several things wrong. I had glanced at the guide (DVD to iPod), but some things didn't match up at first, and I thought I could intuitively figure out how to work the program. On coming back to it, and upon reading this thread, and the guide (in DETAIL - OK don't yell at me) I figured out that I was:

1) not clicking on the "video" folder in the DVD drive
2) not waiting for the program to read the DVD (let the black window do its thing before clicking "OK" - the wording of that dialogue box comes off as a little deceiving in that regard to a newbie like me - perhaps it should say "wait until the black box goes away before clicking OK to continue")
3) not using the right settings (I've had success just clicking the preset iPod 264 setting from the top menu, not changing anything, whereas before, I'd change from AAC to mp3 and would click "chapter markers" or whatever in advanced settings)
4) not waiting long enough for the encoding to start before clicking "OK" on the other dialogue box that comes up (the one that says "your video should be encoding" or whatever) - again, let the new black window do its thing

I've found that I can't use the automatic multiple chapters feature, such as entering "2-9" in the box below DVD title, and have had success just manually selecting each chapter I want, selecting a new output file name for each chapter, and adding each chapter to the queue, one by one.

Thanks for all the work that the developers have done on this project! I'm really glad to get this program to work! I felt quite overjoyed at having played a video in iTunes for the first time.

Brian
paul1612

Post by paul1612 »

Hi, I agree with the comments above about the wording in the boxes can be very confusing/unclear, as I also fell into the traps people have mentioned in this thread. Not installing DVD43 and not selecting VIDEO_TS and not waiting for the DOS box to disappear.

This thread was very helpful, as it’s now WORKING, without it I may have given up after a week.

Thanks
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Hi, I agree with the comments above about the wording in the boxes can be very confusing/unclear, as I also fell into the traps people have mentioned in this thread.
If you read the docs you wouldn't have had this issue.

Not installing DVD43 and not selecting VIDEO_TS
Handbrake is not a DVD ripper and it does say this on the site. It also mentions DVD43 in the Guide and mentions the requirement for a separate ripper in the FAQ.
As for the video_ts folder, I'll probably write in some checking to make sure a valid source has been selected for the next version.

and not waiting for the DOS box to disappear.
No, You do not need to wait for the DOS window to disappear. The program will wait until it has closed before trying to read the data it has produced. I don't know why someone thinks otherwise.
paul1612

Post by paul1612 »

OK, All points noted. But I’m one of those people who only reads the manual as a last resort, so, yes it was down to me not reading the user instructions. But looking at this thread I’m not the only one. :oops:

“It would be nice if” the user could get a bit more information from Handbrake, i.e. “Error:DVD43 not installed”
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

DVD43 is one of dozens of bits of software that can be used so detection code is rather pointless.

I myself use AnyDVD or DVD Decryptor.

It really is common sense to read the FAQ should the thing not work. (it is linked to in the Help menu). I don't really understand why the help button is so invisible to people :s *Shrugs*
erikwithak

Post by erikwithak »

brisully wrote: 2) not waiting for the program to read the DVD (let the black window do its thing before clicking "OK" - the wording of that dialogue box comes off as a little deceiving in that regard to a newbie like me - perhaps it should say "wait until the black box goes away before clicking OK to continue")

4) not waiting long enough for the encoding to start before clicking "OK" on the other dialogue box that comes up (the one that says "your video should be encoding" or whatever) - again, let the new black window do its thing
ok. i have had the same problem as everyone else on this thread until i read these 2 "not waiting" lines. it works!!!!
at least it is 13.92% of the way there.