Select DVD Source and nothing Happens

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mattreetz

Post by mattreetz »

Hi,
I just got an ipod video and have a computer running windows xp pro. I recently downloaded handbrake to convert my dvds to my ipod. I put a dvd into the drive and opened handbrake. I prompted me to select a dvd source, so I selected my dvd drive. Then it says Reading Disc Data...Please click OK to continue. After I click ok, nothing happens, nothing loads. Am I doing something wrong? I'm new to this, so any help is appreciated.

thanks!
mattreetz@yahoo.com
xxirish83x

Post by xxirish83x »

you need to get a program called DVD43

it runs along side of handbrake to take the encryption off the protected DVD
rcplain123

Post by rcplain123 »

I am having the same problem as mattreetz. I have DVD43 3.9 installed and Handbrake 2.23. DVD43 is giving me a green smiley face so it seems to be working.
jetsetter

Post by jetsetter »

me three. running DVD43 and HB 2.23.. still not reading disk.
DrL23

Post by DrL23 »

Yes, I too have DVD43 3.9 and Handbrake 2.23 installed and am having the same problem as mentioned above. HELP!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If the Read DVD window remains open for more than 60 seconds I'll need you to to upload a copy of C:\Program Files\Handbrake\dvdinfo.dat so I can take a look at it. If ya need somewhere to upload it to let me know and i'll throw a script on my webpage to allow it.
TheCount

Post by TheCount »

I'm having the same problem, I'm running Vista however. I've downloaded both programs, when I open Handbreak I get the window to choose source, I browse to the CD and click ok and get the "Reading Disc Data...Please click OK to continue", so I click OK but nothing happens.

It doesn't display any of the disc info, and in fact if I go to "View DVD Data" from the Tools menu, Handbreak calls it a night and locks up entirely. Can anyone else confirm that it does that for you too?

I can upload that dvdinfo.dat file if you want to set up the script.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Link Removed No longer available

Anyone else who uploads the file should rname to dvdinfo2.dat / dvdinfo3.dat and so on. You can see the files already uploaded on that page.
TheCount

Post by TheCount »

Well I uploaded what I have... interestingly, it looks like the file is blank... is that normal?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The file should contain data.

That file would indicate that hbcli.exe has not run.

When you browse on the soruce box, select the dvd then click ok on the popup window, do you see a command prompt box appear in the task bar?
TheCount

Post by TheCount »

No, I don't see a command prompt anywhere, it just stays on the "Reading DVD..." dialog box telling me it's reading disc data, and I should please click ok to continue, This process may take a moment.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Right click the shortcut to Handbrake. Click Properties. On one of the tabs somewhere find something that gives it Admin Access. Now try again.

If that fails:
Link Removed No longer available

After you've clicked the "Open" button on the fileopen dialog you'll see that box in the task bar. I circled it in red. At the same time the Read DVD dialog will appear . Pointed by the top arrow.

Watch the task bar. If you see the hbcli exe appear there (circled in red), even if its only for 1 second we know that its running and can work from there.
TheCount

Post by TheCount »

Seems like that did something, I did see a little command prompt program show up on the taskbar for a split second and there's now a line of text in dvdinfo.dat.

"Missing output file name. Run /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Handbrake/hbcli --help for syntax."
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Make sure there is nothing in the destination box. Sounds like there is a space sitting in there.

If you havnt already make sure your using 2.23. It was reported that resolved the weird space issue.
TheCount

Post by TheCount »

I'm using the latest version, and the destination box is blank. I mean it's not even reading the dvd data from the get go when I select the source, so I don't know. It's wierd that it seems to be working fine for others but not for me. I guess I'll have to try and find an alternative to Handbrake, as my mac mini is too slow for what I have in mind and my macbook pro is set up for work rather than play.

You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions for windows would you?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

AutoGK maybe
Levent

Post by Levent »

Im having the exact same problem. Iv downloaded DVD43, and it does seem to do something when the DVD is inserted, yet no title comes up in the source box. Has a solution been found to it yet?
Levent

Post by Levent »

OK, iv managed to get something in the 'source' boc finally. When selecting the DVD on the drop down menu, a folder appears named VIDEO_TS. I clicked that and the DVD started spinning (can only be a good sign right), and labelled the source box 'D:\VIDEO_TS'. I put all the details in, and clicked to encode but yet again after a second a box appears saying the encoding is finished.

SR55 - what you had circled in red on the task bar does appear for me for a split second also.

Any suggestions?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Tools > View DVD information. Copy/paste the output here.
Levent

Post by Levent »

Im currently ripping a pirate DVD. It seems to be working, which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the encyrption on the previous DVD. Once i have finished with this encoding, which shouldnt take too long (30-45mins) i will send the details of the previous DVD
Levent

Post by Levent »

unbelievable.

Iv put in the original DVD (non pirate), and its started to rip. I did nothing differently, but it seems to be working.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Do yourself a favor and stop advertising that you break the law. It won't do you any good when someone from the MPAA comes along, sees your post and starts bothering us for your IP address ;)
streetr8cer13

Post by streetr8cer13 »

i have been experiencing the exact same issue as far as not being able to rip the dvd

ive tried ripping from an image and the disc, used the DVD43 and anyDVD

i do not get the command prompt popping up and after i click OK and try to rip it waits a second then says its finished?

im running v2.23 on Vista, this works perfectly for my mac, which is in repair now so i needed this on my pc. any suggestions/ fixes?
TheCount

Post by TheCount »

It seems to me that a lot of people are having a very similar problem, it's amazing to me that there's still no singular solution to the issue.
streetr8cer13

Post by streetr8cer13 »

yes but its frustrating theres no fix, i guess we will wait and see

edit: i randomly came across another thread that fixes my issue with vista, and i have no idea why i didnt think of this, i was probably tired.

run it as admin and that should fix the problem