Any tips for dpl2 mixes?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
El_JimBob

Any tips for dpl2 mixes?

Post by El_JimBob »

Hi - long time lurker, first time caller :)
First i'd just like to tip my cap to the team for a wonderful program, simply superb....

My only hang-up has been with audio in my finished files. As per the wiki's recommendation (for compatibility's sake), i've added an AC3 passthru track plus a Dobly Pro-Logic 2 mixdown for each file. Now while i'm quite happy using the AC3 track when playing back, the mixed stereo track always sounds indistinct to these ears. A bit muddy with sound fx easily overpowering dialogue.
I've played with bitrates and DRC levels (from 0 up to 2.5) and while in some cases it's boosted the volume a healthy amount, the mix is always difficult to listen to.

Anybody got any fail-safe techniques i could try applying? Like i said, i'm quite happy with the AC3 track piped thru my television's stereo speakers, so is it even worth me doing a DPL2 mixdown? No files are leaving my Windows HTPC, but i guess some could end up on a portable device in the future....

I thought about using the 'stereo' option for the mixdown - but would that give me the same as a DPL2 mix? I'm guessing it would....
ascianti

Re: Any tips for dpl2 mixes?

Post by ascianti »

The Dolby Pro-Logic 2 mixdown is capable of limited 'mixup', while a regular stereo source is not. If you plan on never using it with another device, there is little point including an AAC track and AC3 track in your files, an AAC track I suppose can be muxed in at a later date based on the AC3 track contained already within it.
El_JimBob

Re: Any tips for dpl2 mixes?

Post by El_JimBob »

U know, you're probably right - at the moment the files stay on the pc, so why bother with the AAC track (especially since i played with settings this weekend and still couldnt find a mix i was happy with).

If i end up wanting to play on a portable device, well i guess i'll go for one that supports AC3 :)

I could consider this one closed, unless of course anyone else wants to chip in?