Another Vista Tip

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
TomWaddle

Another Vista Tip

Post by TomWaddle »

I realize Vista isn't supported but we all know that doesn't stop us from using it.
My problem on my HP laptop running Vista Premium starts from launching the application. I get the black screen when you first start the app and it hangs there for about a minute. Afterwards, I finally get the screen to read the DVD or load an ISO. Running DVD43, I have not had luck on a couple DVDs. When attempting to read the DVD, Handbrake appears to be hung and I'm forced to close it down. However, if I have a ripped ISO image of a DVD, it works fine. I am guessing DVD43 is having problems breaking the encryption. I've used DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter as I've had the best of luck between these two applications.
I'm running the 2.2 version of the MSI install. I am the admin and I've made sure the compatibility option is set to run in the XP SP2 mode. AND, it's also set to run as the admin.
I'm not looking for help as once again, I know this is not supported. This is more so for other users looking for suggestions.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

That black splash screen is actually bothering me. It shouldn't even be possible....

Gotta love vista.

Vista support will come. After 21st June I can start looking into resolving all the vista issues. I'm extremely busy until then so no time for trying to get new operating systems installed.

I know its a bit of a wait guys, but be patient. The advice above does seem to be a good workaround in the time being. There are a few bits and pieces I can fix in the mean time, maybe, we'll see.

You might want to turn off the automatic update check in tools > options. Might speed up startup.

That may or may not cause issues.

Vista doesnt seem to like the writing of files in any folder in program files. *Shrugs* Some daft security update.
xxirish83x

Post by xxirish83x »

I am having the same problem as described. Running Vista business 2gb AMD TL-52

What is the program that makes the iso?
Id like to try that method
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

a lot of my vista issuews were remedied when i disabled the UAM - however, they did not ALL go away - and (based on the last version) i would say that checking the run as admin does not fix this due to reliance on other components , cli, cygwin.. the only way i think is disabling the UAM - and even then it was buggy (again last version)