Ripped, but replay is garbled/pixelated

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
themomfor3

Ripped, but replay is garbled/pixelated

Post by themomfor3 »

Hello,

I am running XP and am using the Windows GUI version of Handbrake (downloaded just yesterday, so I assume it is the most current version of Handbrake) and am attempting to put the Alias Season 1 show on my iPod Touch.

The first time I tried it, I kept all the defaults that were already set, but did choose the iPhone/iPod Touch presets from the list on the right. It seemed to rip alright. Once it was finished, though, whether I was trying to view on my computer or on my Touch after I put it there, the result was that it was quite garbled, jerky, and pixelated. Audio was pretty good, but video... not at all.

I decided to google around for some troubleshooting advice, and saw something somewhere that suggested setting the width to 640, so I did that and tried again... and still, it's garbled, jerky, and pixelated.

Any other suggestions?

TIA!
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Ripped, but replay is garbled/pixelated

Post by TedJ »

You'll need to pre-rip the disc prior to encoding.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide
themomfor3

Post by themomfor3 »

Thanks - I'll try that. I have a log and am trying to figure out how to post it (I'm using the pastebin page but I've not figured out how to get a URL to post to make it viewable here).

If your suggestion works, the log will be a moot point. I'll let you know if it works - thanks!!
mjbinks

Post by mjbinks »

I have the exact same problem and am currently investigating the suggested programs from the wikiguide. Does anyone know how to use anyDVD? I have it installed and am trying to figure out if I just need to run it in the background while using handbrake. Any suggestions? Thanks!
themomfor3

Post by themomfor3 »

Worked great! Thank you so much!!
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

mjbinks wrote:I have the exact same problem and am currently investigating the suggested programs from the wikiguide. Does anyone know how to use anyDVD? I have it installed and am trying to figure out if I just need to run it in the background while using handbrake. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Yes, AnyDVD is an on-the-fly decrypter... while running, it will decrypt the DVD and pass the unencrypted sectors to Handbrake for processing.
themomfor3

Post by themomfor3 »

Now my issue is that it just seems to have taken the first of three episodes from the disc. Off to investigate how to troubleshoot this one...!

Otherwise... the image quality is absolutely fabulous. I appreciate the help!
ascianti

Post by ascianti »

It took only the first of the episodes because each episode is listed as a separate "title"
So you need to encode each "title" on its own (the queue is useful for this).
themomfor3

Post by themomfor3 »

Thanks- that's what I did, and it worked like a charm!
tall_matt

Post by tall_matt »

OK - I think I've read that instruction guide 3 times, but I'm confused.

How do I "pre-rip the disc prior to encoding" as it seems that's what I need to do.

I have VLC installed to do the decoding with Handbrake. Also WinXP.

thanks
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake on windows doesn't use VLC for anything other than playing back previews.
Read it again, it tells you what you need.