handbrake 2.2 keeps rebooting computer

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sfahmy

handbrake 2.2 keeps rebooting computer

Post by sfahmy »

i downloaded the new version 2.2 for handbrake.everytime i try to use it the computer keeps rebooting .
i do not get pass the dvd reading..help please
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Not a Handbrake Problem. You either have a hardware/Driver issue or another piece of software causing a corruption issue.
bmsterling

Post by bmsterling »

sr55, I am having this happen also, well at least I was. I currently testing a theory and it seems to be working now. But the convert is only at 14%.

sfahmy, don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is what happened to me.

I installed 2.2 the other day and used it a few times and crashed each time with a memory type error (from BSOD with out restarting PFN_LIST_CORRUPT), now, I assumed it had something to do with norton ghost or anti virus since I just installed them on Wednesday. After uninstalling them I was still getting the crashes when running HB 2.2. I just zeroed out my HDD and only have winxp and all its updates (sp2) and firefox , CA anti virus and hd 2.2 installed. Thats it. I ran hb and the computer crashed, it did not uncheck the restart checkbox, so I don't know exactly the error, but I was converting a dvd that I have on another hdd and saving it to my c drive, as I was doing yesterday and that other day when I was getting the crashes. But now I am ripping from my second drive and saving to the second drive and hb is currently at 26%, so it looks like it is running.

sfahmy, have you looked into your event logs to see what the error was? What process are you using to convert?
bmsterling

Post by bmsterling »

ok, that theory did not hold up. At about 46% the fps dropped down to about 1 and the computer became very slow.

I am currently using the gui when I get my BSOD, but I am going to try CLI now.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

What OS are we talking about here? XP or vista?

Also what you using to decrypt DVD's?
bmsterling

Post by bmsterling »

sorry, guess those specs would have been useful.

Decryptor: ripit4me/dvddecryptor
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The BSOD error message is related to driver issues on your system.
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.
Pulled that of techspot.
bmsterling

Post by bmsterling »

Yeah, read all the articles on the error and did all the test and I only get the BSOD when I am running handbrake 2.2. At this moment, I am running photoshop, flash, dreamweaver, firefox, ie6, ie7, opera, remote desktop, itunes and some other odds and ends and have been running with these apps for about five hours now with no shut down. So it is not a driver issue, nor is it a memory issue. I have exhausted all other options and everything points to handbrake.

I will be installing hb 2.2 on my other pc which is running MediaFork 0.8.0 beta 1 and is win xp sp2 and 2.5 gb ram with an amd 64 bit processor and see if the issue happens on that machine.

not sure if I mentioned it before, but the machine that is getting the BSOD was just built two weeks ago and was running MediaFork 0.8.0 beta 1 till the new version came out and converted about thirty movies in that time, mostly via commandline. This pc is amd x2 processor with 2 gb ram and the only pci attached is the video card.

sfahmy, don't mean to take over your thread, can you let us know if you have any update on your situation?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

bmsterling: Is the BSOD PC overclocked by any chance? Bear in mind HB will stress a system quite a bit - moreso than pretty much anything other than absolute latest-and-greatest gaming. It taxes memory and CPU quite hard (disk less so), and can cause problems for overclocked machines that seem otherwise stable with less-demanding apps.

Rodney
bmsterling

Post by bmsterling »

@rhester: that is what I was figuring at first, so I reset the bios to defaults and still getting the BSOD. The thing that is confusing me, is that I was using MediaFork 0.8.0 beta 1 and still running most of the apps I mentioned before at the same time, just giving MF a lower priority, and everything ran well, my cpu would get up to about 48c - 53c, but everything would run smoothly.

Keep in mind that I am not trying to blame HB, it may have been a setting I inadvertently changed at some point. So I am going to do some more research and see what I can come up with. It is just frustrating, I should have paid more attention to my settings. I am going to hook up with the asus forum to see if I am over looking something on my end that is hardware/bios related. Like I said before, I zeroed out my HDD and did a fresh install so I can't be software/driver related, well, I hope.

Thanks for the help.

btw, I am running HB 2.2 CLI on my old machine, moving very slow, about 11fps, but it has not shut down yet and it is at 20%. So, I can only assume that I is a bios issue on my end.
bmsterling

Post by bmsterling »

just fyi, I upped the voltage to my memory and that seemed to resolve my issues. Been able to convert two movies and still run my other programs without the BSOD.