How come no DTS or 5.1?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
opentoe

How come no DTS or 5.1?

Post by opentoe »

I've tried converting this M2TS file 3 or 4 times and for some reason my receive doesn't pick up the audio as DTS or DD. I've made several changes and still no DTS. Even the log indicates there is a DTS audio channel there. I've read what is in the "about audio" area, but still a little confused. Any help would be much appreciated. Here is the screen shot and the log:

Code: Select all

### Windows GUI 0.9.4 2009112300 
### Running: Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 
###
### CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6750  @ 2.66GHz 
### Ram: 2047 MB 
### Screen: 1280x1024 
### Temp Dir: C:\Users\mdelig00\AppData\Local\Temp\ 
### Install Dir: C:\Program Files\HandBrake 
### Data Dir: C:\Users\mdelig00\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\HandBrake\0.9.4.0 
#########################################

[08:15:12] hb_init: checking cpu count
[08:15:12] hb_init: starting libhb thread
HandBrake 0.9.4 (2009112300) - MinGW i386 - http://handbrake.fr
2 CPUs detected
Opening C:\tempvideo\Quantum of Solace 007.m2ts...
[08:15:12] hb_scan: path=C:\tempvideo\Quantum of Solace 007.m2ts, title_index=0
[08:15:12] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[08:15:12] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
[08:15:12] file is MPEG Transport Stream with 192 byte packets offset 4 bytes
[08:15:12] hb_ts_stream_find_pids - found the following PIDS
[08:15:12]     Video PIDS : 
[08:15:12]       0x1011 type H.264 (0x1b)
[08:15:12]     Audio PIDS : 
[08:15:12]       0x1100 type DTS-HD (0x86)
[08:15:12]       0x1200 type Unknown (0x90)
[08:15:12] transport stream pid 0x1100 (type 0x82) may be HDMV DTS audio (id 0x1)
[08:15:12] transport stream pid 0x1200 (type 0x90) isn't audio
[08:15:12] scan: decoding previews for title 1
[08:15:12] scan: audio 0x1: DCA, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=1536000 English (DTS) (5.1 ch)
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
Scanning title 1 of 1...
[08:15:15] scan: 10 previews, 1920x1080, 23.976 fps, autocrop = 140/142/0/2, aspect 16:9, PAR 1:1
[08:15:15] scan: title (0) job->width:1920, job->height:800
[08:15:15] stream: 7 good frames, 0 errors (0%)
[08:15:15] libhb: scan thread found 1 valid title(s)
+ title 1:
  + vts 0, ttn 0, cells 0->0 (0 blocks)
  + angle(s) 0
  + duration: 01:46:11
  + size: 1920x1080, pixel aspect: 1/1, display aspect: 1.78, 23.976 fps
  + autocrop: 140/142/0/2
  + chapters:
    + 1: cells 0->0, 0 blocks, duration 01:46:11
  + audio tracks:
    + 1, English (DTS) (5.1 ch) (iso639-2: eng), 48000Hz, 1536000bps
  + subtitle tracks:
HandBrake has exited.

############ End of Log ##############
Last edited by TedJ on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Activity logs should be enclosed in [code] blocks.
jdm

Re: How come no DTS or 5.1?

Post by jdm »

Looking at the logs, it appears to be a DTS-Master track. Handbrake can't grock high-definition audio.
jkbc
Novice

Post by jkbc »

jdm wrote:Looking at the logs, it appears to be a DTS-Master track. Handbrake can't grock high-definition audio.
According to the 0.9.4 release notes DTS-HD is now supported. However only DTS passthrough is mentioned, not DTS-HD specifically. Hopefully a dev notices this and can comment on it further.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

You have only shown us a scan log. We need to see an encode log to see what settings you attempted to use. The scan log clearly indicates that handbrake detected the DTS track. My guess is that you didn't select DTS passthru in the audio settings.
jkbc
Novice

Post by jkbc »

JohnAStebbins wrote:You have only shown us a scan log. We need to see an encode log to see what settings you attempted to use. The scan log clearly indicates that handbrake detected the DTS track. My guess is that you didn't select DTS passthru in the audio settings.
D'oh. I assumed he couldn't even select DTS via the dropdown options. I take it that DTS-HD is supported via passthrough?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

DTS-HD has a regular DTS core. Handbrake can passthru this DTS core.
jdm

Post by jdm »

JohnAStebbins wrote:DTS-HD has a regular DTS core. Handbrake can passthru this DTS core.
Hmm. That's odd. I tried to do one with a DTS-master track just recently, and HB didn't even see it. There was no DTS passthru option. I had to redo my m2ts file with eac3to and extract just the DTS core from the source before HB could see it.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I have transcoded several blu-ray sources with dts-hd audio. I always transcode directly from the BD (after anydvd does it's job). The BD specification requires that every TrueHD audio have an ac3 core and every dts-hd have a dts core. Other sources (like hddvd) do not have this requirement for ac3 or dts core. Perhaps something you did in your processing pipeline removed the dts?
jdm

Post by jdm »

JohnAStebbins wrote:I have transcoded several blu-ray sources with dts-hd audio. I always transcode directly from the BD (after anydvd does it's job). The BD specification requires that every TrueHD audio have an ac3 core and every dts-hd have a dts core. Other sources (like hddvd) do not have this requirement for ac3 or dts core. Perhaps something you did in your processing pipeline removed the dts?
I don't think so. What I've been doing is to rip the disk to my HD using AnyDVD. Then I use Clown_BD (a frontend for eac3to, BDSup2Sub, ChapterGrabber and tsMuxer), it gives me the option of which streams to extract, and the re-mux into a single .ts, .m2ts or BD+ISO file. When you select the audio track, it give you the option of outputing unconverted, just the core or converting to AC3 or DTS at the frequency of your choice.

When I select just the core, I have no problems with transcoding the file in HandBrake. If I leave them unconverted, Handbrake doesn't show DTS passthrough. I forget what happens with TrueHD, as my ears can't tell the difference between it and plain AC3 (and I only have 5 speaker plugged in anyway) I've only been extracting the cores.

Are you saying , when you transcode a Bluray disc, you're just letting anydvd open it up, then just select the drive with handbrake and away you go? No converting it to a single video file first?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Yes, pretty much. Most BD movies are contained in a single m2ts file. For those that are not, I wrote a program that reads the playlist and splices the correct segments together.
jdm

Post by jdm »

JohnAStebbins wrote:Yes, pretty much. Most BD movies are contained in a single m2ts file. For those that are not, I wrote a program that reads the playlist and splices the correct segments together.
Holy crap, that works! I've been spending hours ripping to disk then converting to a new .m2ts when I haven't had to.

Thanks John.
MonkeyBites

Post by MonkeyBites »

I have a very similar question: I used AnyDVD HD to rip a BD to disk. When I tried to encode the main feature (.m2ts) with Handbrake, it complained "No valid source found".

I used Tsmuxer to "downconvert" to the DTS core from the DTS-HD track, and Handbrake happily accepted the resulting m2ts file. I could not use DTS passthrough, though, because I encode to an MP4 container.

Then I read about eac3to being able to convert DTS to AC3. Is it worth to take the extra step just to use AC3 passthrough instead of AAC?

Thanks,
Jan
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

MonkeyBites wrote:I have a very similar question: I used AnyDVD HD to rip a BD to disk. When I tried to encode the main feature (.m2ts) with Handbrake, it complained "No valid source found".

I used Tsmuxer to "downconvert" to the DTS core from the DTS-HD track, and Handbrake happily accepted the resulting m2ts file. I could not use DTS passthrough, though, because I encode to an MP4 container.

Then I read about eac3to being able to convert DTS to AC3. Is it worth to take the extra step just to use AC3 passthrough instead of AAC?

Thanks,
Jan
If your receiver can decode AC3 5.1 and not AAC 5.1, then yes. I believe eac3to is using libav to decode the DTS and encode it into AC3, unless you buy the Nero software. I've never bothered to buy this pacakge and have been pleased with the results.

Handbrake can handle the AC3 soundtracks embedded within TrueHD... I'm surprised it couldn't do the same for the DTS core in DTS-HD (but I've never tried for the reason stated above).
MonkeyBites

Post by MonkeyBites »

nightstrm wrote:
MonkeyBites wrote:Then I read about eac3to being able to convert DTS to AC3. Is it worth to take the extra step just to use AC3 passthrough instead of AAC?
If your receiver can decode AC3 5.1 and not AAC 5.1, then yes. I believe eac3to is using libav to decode the DTS and encode it into AC3, unless you buy the Nero software. I've never bothered to do this and have been pleased with the results.

Handbrake can handle the AC3 soundtracks embedded within TrueHD... I'm surprised it couldn't do the same for the DTS core in DTS-HD (but I've never tried for the reason stated above).
Ok, I'll use ClownBD to get an AC3 stream then. Thanks a lot!

Bummer: For some reason, ClownBD won't start Tsmuxer when eac3to is finished.
twachner

Post by twachner »

Sorry if this question "dumbs" down the conversation. I'm trying to convert bluray to appletv format. Here are my steps:

1) Open the disk with anydvd and rip to hard drive
2) Open tsmuxer, find and add the largest video file
a) Check the video box (h.264) and the DTS-HD files only
b) with the dts-hd file highlighted, click downconvert hds-hd to dts
c) then check tsmuxing or m2ts muxing (i read somewhere either will work, correct?)
d) click start muxing
3) Open Handbrake (.94) and use the appletv preset
- (and this is where I get confused)- go to audio- here my options are
a) source- automatic, none or 1. English (DTS) 5.1
b) Audio code- aac (faac) or AC3 passthrough

My question is what settings in handbrake do I need to get 5.1 audio?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I can't tell you how many 5 hour rips I've completed with different settings only to find it doesn't play correctly on my AppleTv.
dgarmaise

Post by dgarmaise »

I am trying to convert a blueray file in an mkv container, using Handbrake 0.9.4 i386, converting to .mp4 so I can play it on my Apple TV. I am having trouble retaining 5.1 (or even 5.0) sound. The source audio reads "Unknown (DTS) (5.1 ch)" but in the Audio Codec column, I am not able to select AC3 passthrough. Can anyone help? I tried changing .mp4 to m4v but Handbrake changes it back again as soon as I try to set the audio.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

DTS is NOT AC3 and so you can't use AC3 passthru.

You need to use DTS passthru which is only available on MKV.
twachner

Post by twachner »

s55 wrote:DTS is NOT AC3 and so you can't use AC3 passthru.

You need to use DTS passthru which is only available on MKV.
OK, I'm a but confused here with the acronyms. From what I understand if you want to convert bluray to apple tv you must downconvert the DTS signal to AC3, correct? But DTS and AC3 both contain 5.1 sound, correct? So of I want 5.1 sound in AppleTv from Blueray I MUST convert to AC3? That means demuxing the DTS signal to AC3, then remuxing the original video with the new AC3 file.

If that is true so far, I am still confused about the handbrake .94 settings. No matter what variations of files I through at it I still only get options of AAC and AC3 passthrough. Am i missing something here?
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

I get a little confused also. So can we end up with a file that has the DTS MA preserved?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

HandBrake does not convert DTS to AC3. It can pass AC3 through in MP4 containers and additionally pass DTS through in MKV.

Rodney