Vista64

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Jethro

Vista64

Post by Jethro »

Will HandBrake work with Vista64, a workaround of some kind?
I didn't find a clear answer through search.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Vista64

Post by s55 »

It works fine with Vista 64bit.
yellabelly

Post by yellabelly »

I can't get either the latest stable 0.9.3 or SVN2907 to work on my Vista 64 home premium.
I've only started using Handbrake this weekend and I had it working flawlessly with the Linux Ubuntu 32 and 64 bit versions.
I'm mightily impressed with what I have seen on Linux.

On Windows I start off a job and when I come back to the machine it has gone dead with a crash of some kind bringing it down.
The machine has to be rebooted.
I haven't got to the bottom of what is causing the problem yet. I am setting for AAC which perhaps is not working on x86_64?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If your setting system level crashes, you have a system level problem.

Mostly, this is caused by bad ram, faulty power supply or over heating. HandBrake does push components to their limits. If one isn't working right, you'll see problems like this.
yellabelly

Post by yellabelly »

It crashes very early so I doubt it is overheating.
The processor is an Intel Core2 Quad Q6600.
Motherboard is ASUS with 2 Gig of Adata RAM.
No other program causes such a crash and it does get stressed regularly by DVB apps.
The Windows memory test also ran fine.
It is very hard to diagnose this problem. When Handbrake is running the CPU is close to 100% and free RAM is at only about 200Meg.
There is no 64-bit version of Handbrake for Windows? How well is it optimized for multiple CPU?
Dirk Diggler
Novice

Post by Dirk Diggler »

Since Handbrake uses x264 for its encoder it is VERY optimized for multiple cores and just because it doesnt crash with other programs doesnt mean there still isnt something wrong. Have you tried swapping power supplies, is this computer over clocked, have you run tests with prime 95 to see if your rig is stable?
yellabelly

Post by yellabelly »

Thanks I will try prime 95. I was wrong the motherboard is Gigabyte with G33 chipset. I will check the drivers are current.
I can test with 4Gig of different RAM from another machine. I would also suspect Windows.
yellabelly

Post by yellabelly »

prime 95 also causes a crash so there is an underlying system problem to solve.
Thanks
graysky
Experienced

Post by graysky »

yellabelly wrote:prime 95 also causes a crash so there is an underlying system problem to solve.
Thanks
See this guide for help: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647
yellabelly

Post by yellabelly »

graysky wrote: See this guide for help: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647
Thanks for passing on the guide. It appears to be just what I needed.
I think my problem is overheating. I'm not over-clocking but when I put the machine together as a media centre I was looking to make it as quiet as possible. Passive graphic card, minimum number of fans with Skythe CPU cooler/Antec case.
Unless it is possible to underclock the CPU with the Gigabyte MB I will need to improve the cooling.
graysky
Experienced

Post by graysky »

yellabelly wrote:
graysky wrote: See this guide for help: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647
Thanks for passing on the guide. It appears to be just what I needed.
I think my problem is overheating. I'm not over-clocking but when I put the machine together as a media centre I was looking to make it as quiet as possible. Passive graphic card, minimum number of fans with Skythe CPU cooler/Antec case.
Unless it is possible to underclock the CPU with the Gigabyte MB I will need to improve the cooling.
What kind of video card is it and how hot does it get? What are your idle and load temps for the cpu, mb, and case? Try hwmon.
yellabelly

Post by yellabelly »

Video card is Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 512MB DDR2 and at rest it is 46C.
Near idle core temps are 70C 67C 60C 60C. System 31C, CPU 53C
Under load the core temps jump to 80-90C and sometimes go negative in CPUID monitor .
This seems crazy hot and suggests the cooler isn't working properly or the reading is wrong.
The cooler is a Scythe Mine Rev. B with central fan.
The Antec NSK3480-EC case fan is set to the highest of the 3 speeds.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Those CPU core temps look very hot for a machine at near idle.
yellabelly

Post by yellabelly »

Just to thank the contributors to this thread (sorry to hijack again).
I took the PC to pieces and found the cooler didn't sit tight on the CPU because of some capacitors near the CPU socket. A bit of a design flaw with the Scythe cooler. My solution was to remove a section of the cooler with a hacksaw and make sure the push pins were connected with the motherboard outside the case.
Now Handbrake runs fine and CPU core temps don't go over 50C.