Vista and Stackdumps

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Starsky

Vista and Stackdumps

Post by Starsky »

I just downloaded the new 0.8.5b1 last night and tried encoding some episodes of Lost. Some episodes worked, some resulted in a stackdump file. After hours of troubleshooting, I found out that if you use the "Browse" button in the destination field, it adds a single blank space after the file name's extension. Deleting that blank space resulted in completed encodes. I found this out after renaming the output file manually instead of using the browse button, which is why some files worked and some didnt.

Can someone confirm this is a bug in Vista? Thanks
stephen

Me Too

Post by stephen »

Yes, Thank You!

I was having the same issue (some worked some didn't) and it was fixed by manually removing the space at the end.
azwildcat

Post by azwildcat »

awesome work! Same issue and after deleting the trailing space I too am able to successfully use Handbrake on Vista
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I've not been able to re-create this on Windows XP so I can only assume its a vista Issue. I don't actually have a Vista PC but i'll add a trim method on the output in the next build and we can see if that resolves it.
Ryrie

Post by Ryrie »

Very nice Starsky!! I was about to pull my hair out on this one. Deleted that space and all is right with the world.

Thanks again!
Starsky

Post by Starsky »

Thanks Scott,

I've been using Handbrake for the longest time (on a mac), so I was desperate to find out why some videos were encoding and some were not. Thanks for the great program.
xxirish83x

Post by xxirish83x »

AWESOME i was so frustrated trying to figure this out!! Ill try this when i get home today =)
xxirish83x

Post by xxirish83x »

i just confirmed this and it worked!!!! just have to get rid of that stupid space.

This is the best video decoder iv used, and i have tried about 10!!!

Looks great on apple TV

Image works perfect, but i havent tried my surround sound yet, but id imagine all is well :lol:
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

yup no spaces in the name do remedy the stack dump.