RAM bug - won't install

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
johnsonmx

RAM bug - won't install

Post by johnsonmx »

First- thanks for developing such a wonderful program.

Second- I ran into a bug that Handbrake 0.8.5b1 won't install on my system, though I (apparently) meet the (bare) minimum requirements.

When I run the installer, I get "Handbrake can not be installed on systems with less physical memory than 384 MB". I have exactly 384 MB (none of it shared). Running Windows XP.

Mike
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Minimal is actually 512, however the installer is set to 384 to get around the issue of shared with graphics.

Its possible the installer is looking for greator than 384 and not geator than or equal to. Either way, anyone with 512 should not have an issue.
johnsonmx

Post by johnsonmx »

Ah, I see-- is there a way to force the install? I'm excited to try out the new beta.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Not afaik.
I decided on the 512 Limit because I saw some weird behaviour from it under my emulated test enviroment. Random crashes etc. Upping the ram fixed the issues I saw so. It simply means less people moaning at me about stackdumps and the likes. I've only tested for 256/512 in VirtualPC so if you try and CLI and you don't have any issues i'll consider lowering the requirements.

The CLI version has no Installer and hence no way of limiting it. You can try that but don't blame me if it crashes ;)

CLI usage guide here: http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/CLIGuide - Its not as scary as it looks.
johnsonmx

Post by johnsonmx »

Fair enough. :) The fewer weird error reports the better, I understand.

I actually went ahead and extracted the MSI file and loaded the GUI. Seems to work OK on my computer so far.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

hmm, Didn't know you could do that although it makes sense considering its an arch of the files :/.

Let me know how ya get on.