Newbie basic questions

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Phototaker
Experienced

Newbie basic questions

Post by Phototaker »

This is my first posting. Let me say that I have read the FAQ page but still I have a few questions.

A search of that page makes no mention at all about subtitles even though I can see the option displayed on the programs interface. Suppose that I have a complete DVD ripped onto my hard drive, just what file do you select for the video source? If I select the vob files I get to see no mention of subtitles. The program doesn't allow be to select the IFO file which I understand normally contains details of subtitles, chapter points etc. If this program does include subtitles are they embedded into the output file or can they be turned on & off?

The interface page also mentions chapters. Does this mean that these formats like MPEG4, h264 can have chapter points encoded into the file as well, & if so how is that done?

I have a PC & a media player that will play most formats. What I have never seen is a chart that compares the file size & quality of all of the different codec's that are currently now in use. Is there such a chart?

Thanks in advance
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Newbie basic questions

Post by TedJ »

You select the enclosing VIDEO_TS folder, as explained in the Windows GUI Guide.

Handbrake 0.9.3 only handles hardsubs (i.e burnt into the video), but there is experimental softsub support in the development snapshot - see the announcement at the top of this forum.
Phototaker
Experienced

Post by Phototaker »

Thanks for the reply. I have now tried encoding a file that has subtitles from a video TS file. I had encoded it twice & both times were very quick. As for subtitles I have tried ticking the box with english & automatic but neither time did the resulting file have subtitles burns in even though they are in the video-ts file because I can play them using PowerDVd. Where did I go wrong?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Activity log, please.
Phototaker
Experienced

Post by Phototaker »

Because I had done clean up of my PC yesterday & I had deleted the log I decided to recode the same file. This time however I not only had the subtitles embedded into the file at the correct time but I found that when played back in VLC player that I could jump chapters as well. I have yet to determine if any other program also can see the chapter points, I know that my Media player doesn't. All I can surmise from all of this is that somehow I had an incorrect setting somewhere when I tried this the first time.

My input for this conversion was from a video_ts file. Is it possible to somehow input from a ts stream from a PC tuner card & get the program to use the subtitles? Is there anyway to select which stream you want to encode from a ts stream?