Turning widescreen to full screen without image stretch

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Michael7
Novice

Turning widescreen to full screen without image stretch

Post by Michael7 »

I finally decided to get the Zune over the ipod for many many reasons and I think its awsome. But I'm wandering about something. I have a great collection of widescreen movies (becuase I was preparing for an ipod all this time) but since I got the zune ( and I DID put all my ipod rips on it) I noticed that there is NO full screen option.
It may not be that important but as far as zune is concerned I'm begining to enjoy fullscreen over widescreen. So I'm wandering what settings I should use to full screen my rips without making it look like it was panned an scanned. Thank you.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Turning widescreen to full screen without image stretch

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Michael7 wrote:So I'm wandering what settings I should use to full screen my rips without making it look like it was panned an scanned. Thank you.
I'm having trouble following you. The topic title says you don't want to stretch your videos, and your post says you don't want pan & scan (cropping).

The Zune does not have a widescreen display, so if you want to display your videos full screen (without letterboxing) you have to encode the video in the same aspect ratio as your Zun'es display (4:3, if am I not mistaken).

If your source does not have a 4:3 aspect ratio, then you have two options: crop the video (you're losing part of the source - the sides) or resizing (the video will look stretched), or a combination of both. But you can't have neither, or else the video will be letterboxed.
Michael7
Novice

Post by Michael7 »

yeah thats what I ment to say. Sorry for the confusion. So since I have to crop what would be best for 320 240 rezolution at 4.3.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Well, first of all you will want to crop the like you would if you were encoding for iPod (so remove any letterboxing and/or "TV safe" padding), and then crop the sides until the display size has an aspect ratio of or near 1.33:1 (4:3).

Let's take, for example, a film with a 2.40:1 aspect ratio encoded as 1.78:1 (16/9) on a DVD.

First, here's what the image looks without any cropping:

Then, we let HandBrake's automatic cropping remove the letterboxing:

Finally, we crop the sides until the movie has an aspect ratio as close as possible to 1.33:1:

In the above image, you can read: Source: 720x576, Output: 400x428, Anamorphic: 568x428. We're interested in what "anamorphic" says: 568/428 = 1.327…, which is close to 1.333 (4/3).

Now, if the Zune supports anamorphic, you're OK. If it doesn't (which is likely), then you'll have to set anamorphic to None. The reason why I set anamorphic to strict in the first place is because it makes it easier to crop the video.

So, if the Zune doesn't support anamorphic, set anamorphic to None after cropping, and make sure to check "Keep aspect ratio":

And if you're only encoding for the Zune, and feel no need to future-proof your encodes (e.g. for a future device with a higher resolution), you can lower the resolution to the Zun'es display resolution, 320x240: