will not read disk

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kam

will not read disk

Post by kam »

I'm using Windows 2000, SP 4, (only 1.8 GHz so maybe that's my problem? but Handbrake is running), >512 MB RAM, have Microsoft .Net Framework 2 and Microsoft Windows Installer 3.0. I'm using the directions from http://roflmaocopterzor.googlepages.com.

I have tried using DVD43 with the same results that follow. I've since uninstalled it and am now trying the trial version of AnyDVD to remove encryption. Then I start Handbrake for Windows, select the disk in the appropriate drive, click Read DVD and wait. . . and wait. . .
Nothing happens. If I click OK to continue, I get the Select Title and View DVD Information screen, but no info - just
Missing output file name. Run /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Handbrake/hbcli --help for syntax.
on the View DVD Information screen.

The DVD in question is Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, and this is the first time I'm using Handbrake.

AnyDVD says:
Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.3.3)
LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 GNH1
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2063280 sectors (4029 MBytes)
Total size: 3937915 sectors (7691 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: PIRATES_OF_THE_CARRIBEAN
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Sorry to be dense, but is AnyDVD doing what needs to be done so Handbrake will work? i.e., fix the CSS protection, etc.?
Do I just need to wait a very long time for the disk to be read? I'm not hearing anything going on with the disk drive, and getting no progress bar in the task bar (with DVD43) or anything else.

Thanks for any help.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

DVD43 is unlikely to work with that disc. AnyDVD should.

Your entering the wrong value in the Source box. Let the browse dailog enter the correct item for you.

Should be something like d:\video_ts
kam

Post by kam »

That was what I was doing wrong. It read the disk, I did the set up, and it seems to be encoding now. Thanks for your help & patience!