Thumbnails on Samsung Smart TV are orange cones

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sklivans

Thumbnails on Samsung Smart TV are orange cones

Post by sklivans »

Excuse for my ignorance, I am new at this. I just got a Samsung Smart TV. I enabled Windows 10 multimedia library. The TV discovered the library. I began ripping my DVD collection using Handbrake, video codec H.264. The TV showed the movie icons, click play. All seemed to be OK except my files were larger than the master. I discovered H.265, much smaller files. All the TV thumbnails are now just orange cones that look like the VLC Media player. I tried a few games at the windows 10 server, dropping in jpg pictures in the movie folders without success. My forehead is becoming flat. What am I doing wrong?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Thumbnails on Samsung Smart TV are orange cones

Post by Woodstock »

LOTS of unknowns. Most of which would be cleared up with some activity logs.

Have you verified that your TV supports h.265 video? If not, you can't play h.265 video.

If you're actually compressing DVDs, your settings would have to be wildly out of wack to get an h.264 file that is bigger than the VOBs. Something like selecting "placebo" encoding. Again, logs would help with that.

The icons are probably being supplied by Windows to the TV.

"SMART TV" is a relative term, and there aren't many geniuses in that family.
Kyioto

Post by Kyioto »

Don't know how Samsung or Handbrake handles thumbnails but the Orange cone is usually a VLC icon so maybe the default VLC icon is interfering in some way with the thumbnail or you have that file format defaulted to open via VLC
sklivans

Post by sklivans »

The issue has been resolved. I believe it had nothing to do with Handbrake. I was using the built in windows DLNA server. Although movies would play, subtitles would not work and the icons were orange cones. Also the DLNA server would not connect to every computer. I took a stab in the dark and switched over Plex. All icons are visible. Although problem is resolved, please leave any comments or thoughts behind. Thank you...Sandy
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

DLNA is one of those things that "almost works". It was supposed to eliminate a lot of configuration when dealing with shared resources, but it does that by eliminating access to stuff. My hardware players won't show subtitles or alternate audio tracks through DLNA, and usually fast forward/rewind disappears. Same player, same server, same files will have all features available using SMB networking, but that requires logging in to the server, while DLNA does not.

Of course, "Smart" TVs often cannot handle logging in. Plex with a Plex client on the device does a better job, as you've found.