Handbrake suddenly failing at the end of encoding

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mantooth

Handbrake suddenly failing at the end of encoding

Post by mantooth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:00 am

Description of problem or question:

Have had no issues with Handbrake for months but suddenly in the last few days I'm experiencing an issue where Handbrake shuts down unexpectedly at the end of encoding a file. There is no crash or error dialog. Handbrake just shuts down and when reopened shows that the file didn't complete even though it looks to have when I check in the target directory. I initially thought this was only during encoding multiple files in a queue but it's also happening when trying to encode a single file. The only thing I can think that has changed about my system lately is the latest Windows update. Otherwise, nothing new that should be interfering.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Start an encode, whether a single file or multiple in a queue. Handbrake encodes as normal until the very end of the first file and then shuts down.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, OS Build 17763.55

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/vtwtA9F8

Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake suddenly failing at the end of encoding

Post by Woodstock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:21 pm

"QSV": {
"Decode": true,
"AsyncDepth": 0
}
Try disabling QSV decode in Tools->Preferences->Video.

All QSV stuff is driver-dependent, and QSV decode is already flaky (it breaks on many sources). A Windows update may have changed your video driver for a not-as-good version.