Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
giveuptheghost

Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1

Post by giveuptheghost »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible: Hey all, ever since I've started encoding to 4k, I get an output file that looks/sounds fine but I'm getting this error in the log: [mp4 @ 000001fe0117e700] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1: 18961967 >= 18961967

Not sure what it means or how to fix it. Again, everything has worked perfectly as far as I can tell but I just want to make sure I'm not delivering broken files.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Windows are you running. etc.
HandBrake 1.0.7 (2017040900) - 64bit
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Ram: 32691 MB,
GPU Information:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 22.21.13.8476
Screen: 1920x1080

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
[mp4 @ 000001fe0117e700] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1: 18961967 >= 18961967

Please include the scan or encode log:
https://pastebin.com/Hzd76e2Y
I starred out some irrelevant info like file paths, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1

Post by Woodstock »

Given that the file was already encoded in h.264, why were you re-encoding it? Just to convert the audio?

The error show is that the timestamps in the DTS file didn't advance properly at one point. Depending on the source, it could have been a corrupted stream, or part of a "seamless branching" reconstruction, or a number of other things.
giveuptheghost

Re: Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1

Post by giveuptheghost »

Thanks for your response. The original file was exported from Premiere in h264 at a very high bitrate as a master I guess you could say - this is compressed in handbrake for online delivery/uploading to sites that have a maximum filesize. Re-exporting from Premiere for each version is not realistic as there are a lot of processor intensive effects and each export takes 24 hours+.

If I don't notice an issue with syncing or anything, would it be ok to ignore the error? Or is this generally a big error that I shouldn't disregard?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

You should probably just passthru the audio, if you do does HB still give you an error?
giveuptheghost

Post by giveuptheghost »

rollin_eng wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:35 pm You should probably just passthru the audio, if you do does HB still give you an error?
This worked, thanks! Oddly, I've heard weird distortion when Vimeo converts AAC sometimes so I'll use mp3 for Vimeo (and take whatever risks associated with this error), and Passthrough for all other delivery. Thanks again.