CLI and presets

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rcook

CLI and presets

Post by rcook »

I have just successfully encoded a video using HandrakeCLI on my Fedora 9 computer, it was very easy to do. I used the following command:

Code: Select all

./HandBrakeCLI -i /opt/rips/300/ -o 300.mp4 --preset="Deux Six Quatre"
and I got a very nice looking video. My question pertains to the presets and if they can be modified at all. Searching the forums would suggest that they cant currently. So if I want to continue using the Deux Six Quatre preset I can simply copy the values to the CLI argument and still get the same results yes? If that is the case how can I modify the CLI argument to produce a final video that will use the entirety of my TV screen. I like proper aspect ration as much as the next guy but having 12" black bars at the top and bottom of the video is excessive and the various formatting options within MediaPortal aren't working for me. I know it is down to the actual aspect? size of the video, for example one video I have currently is sized at 624x464 and I get no black bars another is sized at 720x304 and I do get black bars.

If someone could provide how I need to modify the CLI argument for the Deux Six Quatre preset so that I get a video formatted at a better size that would be great.

Thanks,
RCook
realityking
Veteran User

Re: CLI and presets

Post by realityking »

AFAIk you can just 'overwrite' preset settings, means you can specify the preset and then some other settings and your settings will be used and where you didn't specify anything the preset values will be used.
SnorreSelmer

Re: CLI and presets

Post by SnorreSelmer »

The presets themselves are hardcoded, but if you want to override anything, just add it you your command-line.

If the preset does -x1 then you can just do --preset="presetname" -x2 to override -x1 with -x2.