checkinstall and jam

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
BurkDP

checkinstall and jam

Post by BurkDP »

I just found out about a program called checkinstall that allows creation of a .deb (in my case) from source files. I compile from source on my Linux box (Ubuntu 8.04 ~ Hardy) because I have an amd64 processor. As a fledgling user I'd like to use checkinstall so I can use apt-get to install and remove. It'd make upgrading to the next release easier.

I enter the command

Code: Select all

checkinstall -D jam install
but it doesn't work. When I try a regular jam install it doesn't work. So my question is this what comes after jam:

./configure
jam
?
I've read in the documentation that jam is preferred over make, so that's why I'm using it. I was just wanted to know if there is an equivalent to

make install

And now that I type this - does jam even work with checkinstall?

Thank you for your time.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: checkinstall and jam

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The top level of HandBrake doesn't have an install target for either jam or make. If your using a recent svn version and can build the gtk interface, checkinstall should work in the gtk directory. The gtk Makefile will also install the CLI.
BurkDP

Post by BurkDP »

Thanks for the info. It's on a headless box so I don't really want to install gtk. I'm used to using the ./HandbrakeCLI to run it, but installing a .deb woulda been convenient.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Um, no, jam is *not* the preferable build method. Thus, you know, the CompileGuide telling you to use make, and make being the top directions in the BUILD file.

Not sure what your trouble is figuring out what happens after jam. It's all there in the jam files....
BurkDP

Post by BurkDP »

As an admin thank you for correcting my assumption about jam. It may have been stated that jam was the preferred version on the compile guide at some time or another, or that the windows compile guide for compiling the CLI uses jam instead of make...or I may have made it up :oops: . If I may ask, why include the ability to compile with both make and jam? Isn't the tag-line for jam something like a better make? (I have all the programming experience of a hamster so I'd rather sound dumb than continue to be wrong). I had read the build instructions but since it had both, and I didn't know that one being before the other was anything other than a cosmetic choice...which sounds brainless but :roll:

also when you run ./configure it says:
To build HandBrake, run:
'./jam' on a Mac (or 'make' to try the UB build method),
'jam' on Linux or Windows.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

We have both because we have both. Jam isn't better, in fact make support was added afterward.

Yes, the configure script tells you to use jam, since you would only be running them separately *for* jam. Why run configure before make, when make runs configure?