Adding Chapter Titles to m4v Files

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
thor79

Adding Chapter Titles to m4v Files

Post by thor79 »

Ok so I have been ripping my DVD's to m4v format for my new iPhone using Handbrake. I just discovered the fact that the iPhone supports chapters, and
I see that Handbrake supports them as well as part of the encode. My question is...is there anyway to add them after the fact? I've looked through
the options for Handbrake and there doesn't appear to be any way to add in chapter titles without encoding something. So is there a way I can re-encode a
complete m4v file with the same settings but add the chapter titles in the process?

I've tried using the m4v files as the input file but I get "no title found" no matter what I do.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Adding Chapter Titles to m4v Files

Post by rhester »

There was a tool to do this called Muxo, but I am not sure whether it is still under active development.

Rodney
thor79

Post by thor79 »

Ok, thanks I'll check into it.

I've been looking for specialty tools just for this but haven't found any yet.
Ideally I'd like to find a command line tool that can read in from a text or csv file like handbrake does. That way I can put them all in a batch file and let it go.

I should probably mention I am a Vista 64 Bit user.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Muxo was pretty close to Mac-only, as I recall.

Rodney
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Muxo's for srt soft subs, not chapters.

On the Mac, SimpleMovieX or MetaX might be able to do it. No clue on Windows.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Crap, you're right. My bad. I believe both will do it on the Mac. Still unaware of a comparable tool on Windows or Linux *snif*.

Rodney
thor79

Post by thor79 »

Oh well. Guess I'll just redo them completely through HandbrakeCLI. It's just a pain because I can only do 2 movies per batch file (2 dvd drives).

Thanks anyway.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Pre-rip to HDD before encoding, perhaps?
thor79

Post by thor79 »

Kind of pointless...can only do 2 at a time then as well...then add the time to convert in handbrake on top of that. Quicker just to rip directly.
BurkDP

Post by BurkDP »

If you're on a Mac use MetaX http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html . Not only will it allow you to completely edit all the meta tags (nice if you're obsessive/have alot of free time like me) but also rename existing chapter titles.

As a side note, at least on the Touch, you can select between more than one audio track. Since subtitles are hard coded adding another language track is kinda not all that useful since they don't always match - but if you wanted to add a commentary track or something it's a nice thing to know. I don't know what the max is and I'm curious if anyone does.

PS - I'm not sure if this is timely enough to be helpful, or even if your rips had chapter tracks but where unnamed, but I still think it's good to know.
zoidberg

Post by zoidberg »

If you're on a PC you can now use Drax http://www.arlt.eu/blog/projects/drax/.
I wrote that tiny app because I didn't find a tool like MetaX for the Windows platform. I mean, it's a start :)

Stephan
kalafalas

Post by kalafalas »

for some reason your program wont work for me i get a weird error trying to open it (drax that is)
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

There is now a version of MetaX available for Windows.