Help Generating HandBrakeCLI command...

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
McCall

Help Generating HandBrakeCLI command...

Post by McCall »

Hi Folks,

I wasn't too sure if I should be posting in devices or in here, I opted for here as I know exactly what device and how I want my movie encoded. I am moving from the MacUI to HandBrakeCLI. I am basically trying to duplicate a preset I have set up for my PSP. To create this preset I followed instructions from another post and tweaked them:

- Select PSP preset
- Choose H.264/AAC codec
- Select 480 width (keep aspect ratio)
- Enter "crf=18:ref=2:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:bime=1:weightb=1:subq=7:trellis=2:analyse=all:level=3:merange=64:no-fast-pskip=1:me=umh:sar=1/1" without the quotes under advanced x264 options

This is the command I have come up with so far:

HandBrakeCLI -v -i /dev/dvd -o /tmp/test/TheMatrix.mp4 -e x264 -f mp4 -w 480 -Y 320 -r 25 -b 1024 -2 -T -x \
crf=18:ref=2:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:bime=1:weightb=1:subq=7:trellis=2:analyse=all:level=3:merange=64:no-fast-pskip=1:me=umh:sar=1/1 \
-E faac -B 128 -R 48 -m

The options I am unsure about are -7 and -8 and despite reading the sections on the CLIGuide a couple of times, I still don't really understand the -q and -Q options. The last few things I am unsure about is if the MacUI would use the equivalent of -b or -vb and which x264 option would be used (x264,x264b13 or x264b30) by default?

Can anyone help me with my command by telling me if the options above enabled by default on the PSP preset that comes with HandBrake. If you spot any other mistakes or have any other advice, I welcome that too!

Thanks!

Edited after testing my first encode and realizing I hadn't used -e x264!
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Help Generating HandBrakeCLI command...

Post by jbrjake »

McCall wrote:I wasn't too sure if I should be posting in devices or in here
Um, here's an idea...how about posting the forum *about* HandBrakeCLI?

*moving*
The options I am unsure about are -7 and -8
Um, the direction you say you're following don't use deblocking and denoising.
and despite reading the sections on the CLIGuide a couple of times, I still don't really understand the -q and -Q options.
-q is followed by a floating point number, a percentage in decimal form. It's a scale from 0-51 with 0 being lossless encoding. In percentage form it goes 0% - 100% with 100% being lossless encoding. (51 - x)/51 == percentage. (51 - 18 ) / 51 = 0.647 or 64.7%. -Q means to use CRF in quality mode (in 0.9.1) instead of a constant quantizer. So use:

Code: Select all

-q 0.647 -Q
The last few things I am unsure about is if the MacUI would use the equivalent of -b or -vb
Make up your mind. I thought you wanted CRF?
and which x264 option would be used (x264,x264b13 or x264b30) by default?
By default the CLI doesn't use x264, it uses ffmpeg. So it entirely depends on what you put after -e.
[qupte]Can anyone help me with my command by telling me if the options above enabled by default on the PSP preset that comes with HandBrake.
If you're typing messages in text you can obviously read, so wouldn't it be best to see what commands are enabled by the PSP preset in the documentation? Not sure what you hope to learn as the preset doesn't use h.264...
cvk_b
Veteran User

Re: Help Generating HandBrakeCLI command...

Post by cvk_b »

McCall wrote:trellis=2
Use "trellis=1" (or not at all) with single pass crf. Use trellis with 2 when you are targeting a size/bitrate.