hbencoder version 1.6 released

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
eengelking

hbencoder version 1.6 released

Post by eengelking »

Happy New Year! :D

Some background info:
The Linux HandBrake CLI application requires many switches and variables to begin the conversion of a DVD to an MPEG video file. The hbencoder script was written to make encoding files a little bit easier for Linux users on the command line. Released under the GPL version 2.

Download Link - Version 1.6
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=207347

What's Needed
- Linux or Mac OS (Tested versions in the CHANGELOG)
- Bash Shell
- The HandBrakeCLI

Instructions
1. Change the permissions on the script so that it can be executed.
2. Run the script: ./hbencoder
3. Walk through the step-by-step questions.
4. Encode your video.
5. Enjoy. :)

Change Log
===========================================
Version 1.6 -- Released 01/06/2008
===========================================

------------------------
Team Members
------------------------
eengelking - Developer
peterbre - Bug Testing

------------------------
Operating Systems Tested
------------------------
Linux:
-- Fedora 6
-- Fedora 8
-- Ubuntu 7.04
-- Ubuntu 7.10

Mac OS
-- 10.4 (Tiger)

------------------------
General Information
------------------------
If you want a specific item to be considered for addition to the script, please
visit the Forum page at Sourceforge and leave a note.
http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=207347

------------------------
New Features
------------------------
-- Presets and Manual options. This feature has replaced the "Quick Start" and "Advanced Features" mode. The presets were taken directly from the presets given in the Mac OS version of HandBrake. The preset options are:

-- iPod (High Res)
-- iPod (Low Res)
-- iPhone/iTouch
-- AppleTV
-- Television
-- Console (PS3, 360)
-- PSP

Selecting the "Manual" option will allow you to chose from all available options to encode your video.
----------
-- Added video quality settings. Now users who choose to use the "Manual" encoding option will have the ability to determine the video quality of the output file. The available selections are:

-- Average Bitrate - Encode video based on bitrate.
-- Target Size - Encode video based on final size of finished video file.
-- Constant Quality - Set output to a variable output percentage.
----------
-- Added Two-Pass encoding and Turbo encoding. These features are for those who use the x264 encoding option. The CLI will ignore the Turbo option if it's selected for any encoder other than the x264.
----------
-- Added the ability for users to choose an audio samplerate for audio encoding. Default is set to 44.1 kHz, with the ability to choose other pre-determined rates as set by the HandBrakeCLI.
----------
-- Subtitles. The user now has the ability to add subtitles to the output video
file. The available options are:

-- Don't enable subtitles.
-- Enable subtitles: automatic scan (finds short foreign/alien segments).
-- Enable subtitles: manual selection (entire video will have subtitles).
----------
-- Script cleanup. The bottom of the script was a mess, so each option has been placed into it's own function and executed independanty. This makes adding additional features in the future simpler than it was in prioer versions of the script.

Additionally updated the video frame rate function to make it less confusing.
Removed the option for 5 fps and made 23.967 fps the default.

------------------------
Bug Fixes
------------------------
-- Fixed issue where width and height ratios that were not divisible by 16 would create a memory error with the HandBrakeCLI binary. The script automatically adjusts width and height variables up to a number that is divisible by 16.
----------
-- Fixed issue where creating the .hbencoder directory in the users's home folder took an exceptional amount of time to complete. It now finds and/or creates the directory much faster than before.

------------------------
To Do
------------------------
-- Option to enable video de-interlacing.
-- Option to de-block encoded video.
-- Option to detelecine encoded video.
-- Option to choose the 64-bit mp4 option for very large video files.
-- Option to enable advanced H264 options.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Leopard & hbencoder version 1.6

Post by cvk_b »

Leopard notes. I wouldn't call these bugs, just observations.

The scanning picks up all the time machine backups. I had 179 HandBrakeCLI's to choose from. It also picks up my dead symbolic links (I like to keep the phantom contents of old hard disks around).

I was prompted to use 2 pass after selecting constant quality. The error was caught but said my quality 65 was amiss. The script ended.

Because of TM scanning for dvd's takes considerable time.

"Scanning DVD to collect disc information." I was excited to see a nicely formatted list of titles and audio tracks (since everything else is so nicely formatted).... but no. Perhaps you are going to add that.

Basically, I can confirm this works with leopard, but with TimeMachine annoyances.
eengelking

Re: hbencoder version 1.6 released

Post by eengelking »

The scanning picks up all the time machine backups. I had 179 HandBrakeCLI's to choose from. It also picks up my dead symbolic links (I like to keep the phantom contents of old hard disks around).
Heh ... looks like I need a copy of Leopard. ;)

Okay, the only thing that I really need to know is what directory is the time machine information stored? I can probably omit that directory from search results.
I was prompted to use 2 pass after selecting constant quality. The error was caught but said my quality 65 was amiss. The script ended.
Did you select to use H.264 for your encoding option? If so, this should enable the option to use the 2-pass feature. Other encoding options shouldn't prompt for this feature. If it does, let me know. I'll be looking into this this week.
"Scanning DVD to collect disc information." I was excited to see a nicely formatted list of titles and audio tracks (since everything else is so nicely formatted).... but no. Perhaps you are going to add that.
That's on the horizon. I'm still trying to figure out how to return specific information from the data scan. The Mac OS X version of HandBrake returns the title and other information, but the output of the DVD scan doesn't show this data. If someone knows how to get around this to provide the DVD title, chapter titles, etc, please let me know.
Basically, I can confirm this works with leopard, but with TimeMachine annoyances.
Thanks for the feedback. This information will help me out greatly. :) Let me know about the time machine directory in Leopard and I'll try to get that resolved ASAP.

--Ed