Get/display progress/time remaining?

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Donny Bahama

Get/display progress/time remaining?

Post by Donny Bahama »

I’m running Handbrake on a Linux Mint machine and I wrote a shell script that asks me for the movie title and year of release, then rips the movie using my preferred settings. After the rip, it gives me stats on the file size and elapsed time. Problem is, once the rip starts, it pretty much just disappears and I can’t even be sure that it’s ripping without pulling up a task/process list. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a way I can get/display the progress of the rip. I know there’s an option to display time remaining, but I wanna to run this script from a desktop launcher. I don’t want to have to start a terminal and run it from there. If I could send the output of the CLI to a file, I could read that and use reflex to get what I’m looking for but I’m not sure how to get HB to update the output file.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Get/display progress/time remaining?

Post by mduell »

Progress is output to stdout, so redirect stdout wherever you want it, including redirection to a file.