Reference for "Advanced Options" Parameters?

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Plumperquatsch

Reference for "Advanced Options" Parameters?

Post by Plumperquatsch »

I am looking for a complete reference of the advanced options which can be used for andbrakeCLI as the "-x" parameter.

Up to v.1.2.2 I could use the advanced video-tab of Handbrake GUI-Version and could copy the settings from the text-field
to use them for HandbrakeCLI. Since v1.3.0 I dont see an option to get all these parameters.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Reference for "Advanced Options" Parameters?

Post by s55 »

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MeGUI/x264_Settings

HandBrake only ever exposed a small subset of options. Use the above link for the full set.

you'd be advised to better understand the x264 preset/tune/level/profile system as it's a much better way of managing the encoder.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Note also that each encoder has its own settings, meaning you can't use the aforementioned with anything other than x264.
Plumperquatsch

Post by Plumperquatsch »

Thank you very much for the good and fast response - very appreciated!
Originally I was looking for the "best" options to create "microHD"-movies from all my BluRay-formats and I stumbled on this YouTube-link
which explains tge (required?) fine-tuning steps for the encoder. Is there already a simple match with one of the presets?
If "yes" then it would possibly a good marketing idea to call this preset "microHD" to shrink a BluRay-format into "below 2GB" files.
Plumperquatsch

Post by Plumperquatsch »

Thank you very much for the good and fast response - very appreciated!
Originally I was looking for the "best" options to create "microHD"-movies from all my BluRay-formats and I stumbled on this YouTube-link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZV5YbrhsT8
which explains the (required?) fine-tuning steps for the encoder. Is there already a simple match with one of existing presets?
If "yes" then it would possibly a good marketing idea to call this preset "microHD" to shrink a BluRay-format into "below 2GB" files.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

For what you call "microHD" I'd recommend the Fast 720p preset, with the quality turned down (RF moved up) a little bit to consistently be in the 2GB range you're looking for (will vary from movie to movie).
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The video you linked to is over 6 years old, and handbrake (and the encoders it uses) has changed quite a bit since then.

As mduell suggests, pick a preset and dial down the quality until it becomes too ugly for you, or you hit your target size.