Is Intel QSV or NvidiaENC available with CLI?

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hanness

Is Intel QSV or NvidiaENC available with CLI?

Post by hanness »

Description of problem or question:

When encoding using the CLI version of HandBrake, is it possible to use Intel QSV or Nvidia NVEnc? I have both of these options available via the GUI version of HandBrake but if available I don't know what parameters to use to specify these in the command line.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.2.2 (have also looked at help for 1.3.0 and do not see any mention of Intel QSV or NvidiaENC for command line there)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 1903

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

N/A - I'm looking for available switches prior to running and so there is no activity to log
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Is Intel QSV or NvidiaENC available with CLI?

Post by Woodstock »

You have to specify the encoder to use on the command line. If you run the CLI with the -h option (preferably with stdout routed to a file so you can see all of it), the CLI will list the encoders available on your machine, and the names to use to invoke them.
hanness

Post by hanness »

LOL. What a simple oversight. I was looking at the command line help reference on the HandBrake web site and saw no reference to those encoders. I didn't realize that the help actually dynamically changes the output depending upon the capabilities of my system. When I followed your instructions, then, sure enough, those encoder options are displayed.

Thanks greatly for your help.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Yes, it varies based on available options that are generated live. I'm considering ways to overcome this in the documentation, potentially just merging the output of all possibilities.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Bradley, maybe list the "always available" options first, and then add the others under "hardware dependent". That way, every option can be shown while making it clear that you have to have the hardware to support the others. Perhaps with each one noted with what hardware/drivers need to be available for it to be available.

It really doesn't have to match the output of the help command, does it?

If you want it to replicate the help output, though, making the hardware-dependent ones link (or hover pop-ups) for the requirements should work, too.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Good ideas. I'm mostly wanting to keep it fairly easy to update as things change, so advanced interactivity here might be more of a burden.