Inconsistent results between HB and FFmpeg x265

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DougH

Inconsistent results between HB and FFmpeg x265

Post by DougH »

Description of problem or question
I originally noticed that when I converted a MKV file to an x265 encoded MP4 file that VLC showed severe pixalation issues, e.g. grey blocky screen. After digging around some I found the Extra video options and assigned keyint=1. This resolved the grey blocky screen but the picture seemed to stutter. I continued adding options as I read through the x265 documentation but nothing resolved the issue. I increased the bitrate and again nothing resolved. I thought perhaps this was a VLC issue because others reproted the same or similar problems so I tried with MPlayer. The stuttering wasn't as bad but the audio was out of sync.

I decided to stick with VLC, not wanting to introduce another variable into the mix. I decided to re-encoded the clip with FFmpeg using the exact same x265 params as I had used with HB using their x265 guided for two-pass and the issue was resolved.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable)
I used a custom preset but even the built-in preset of "H.265 MKV 1080p30" produced the same grey screen/blocky result. The command I used were:

handbrakecli -i Aliens.mkv -o Aliens.mp4 --preset="H.265 MKV 1080p30" 2> log
handbrakecli -i Aliens.mkv -o Aliens.mp4 --preset-import-file custom265.json 2> log

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.3 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update)

Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update (1709)

Error message text or screenshot (If Applicable)

No error messages

Provide a URL from any image hosting site.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Use any pastebin website and provide the URL it generates

https://pastebin.com/G8bVfdVx

Code: Select all

Paste log text between these markers.
[code][/i]