Unable to load custom preset

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Hazimil

Unable to load custom preset

Post by Hazimil »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:
I trying to modify one of the presets for the HandBrakeCLI. I wish to use the preset "Matroska/H.264 MKV 1080p30" but I want HandBrake to keep all of the subtitles, which it doesn't if I just use the built in preset. I'm using the CLI as I plan to use it to batch process many .MKV files (once I get it working).

So I exported the preset by using:

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI.exe --preset "H.264 MKV 1080p30" --preset-export Jonathans --preset-export-file Jonathans.json
I then edited the Jonathans.json file and changed:

"SubtitleTrackSelectionBehavior": "none",
to

"SubtitleTrackSelectionBehavior": "all",
I then tried to run HandBrakeCLI with the following command line:

HandBrakeCLI.exe --preset-import-file Jonathans.json --verbose -i test.mkv -o test_done.mkv
However, the new .MKV file doesn't have the subtitles in it. I noticed in the log, that the process doesn't seem to use my preset (see below).

Using preset: CLI Default
So, I thought that perhaps I have to load the preset first, so I ran the command:

HandBrakeCLI.exe --preset-import-file Jonathans.json
But all that did was:

[20:21:57] hb_init: starting libhb thread
[20:21:57] thread 1 started ("libhb")
Missing input device. Run HandBrakeCLI.exe --help for syntax.
Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What operating system are you running. etc.
Windows 10 Pro x64 (fully patched)
HandBrakeCLI v1.0.7
I am using a test .MKV file called "test.mkv", which has a MPEG-1/2 video track, an AC-3 audio track, VocSub subtitle track and 6 chapters.

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
None

Please include the scan or encode log:
Activity Log: https://pastebin.com/SXvWujsc
Jonathans.json file: https://pastebin.com/guapP65i

Any and all help appreciated.

Jonathan
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Unable to load custom preset

Post by Woodstock »

BradleyS wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:04 pm --preset=“Apple 1080p30 Surround”
The = sign is missing from your command line.
Hazimil

Post by Hazimil »

Woodstock wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:55 pm The = sign is missing from your command line.
I'm afraid this doesn't help, it still fails to work as I'm expecting/hope.

Jonathan
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

--preset-import-file reads the preset, then you have to use --preset to select it.
Hazimil

Post by Hazimil »

Ritsuka wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 am --preset-import-file reads the preset, then you have to use --preset to select it.
Cheers Ritsuka, that worked (sort off), I used the command line:

HandBrakeCLI.exe --preset-import-file "Jonathans.json" --preset "Jonathans" --verbose -i test.mkv -o test_done.mkv
The CLI now reports it is using the preset "Jonathans", however it's burning in the subtitles instead of keeping them separate, need to do some tweaking to my .json file? :(

Thanks for the help.

Jonathan
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Hazimil wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am
Ritsuka wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 am --preset-import-file reads the preset, then you have to use --preset to select it.
Cheers Ritsuka, that worked (sort off), I used the command line:

HandBrakeCLI.exe --preset-import-file "Jonathans.json" --preset "Jonathans" --verbose -i test.mkv -o test_done.mkv
The CLI now reports it is using the preset "Jonathans", however it's burning in the subtitles instead of keeping them separate, need to do some tweaking to my .json file? :(
Encode log please :)
DougH

Post by DougH »

Just as a side note if the subtitles are stored in PGS format they will always burn-in no matter the setting. I found this out the hard way. I had to convert PGS subtitles to the VOB subtitles.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Subtitles only need to be burned in when the file format isn't supported by the container. PGS is allowed in MKV files, but not MP4, for example.

Sometimes, though, the handbrake renderer is MUCH better than you'll find in the typical player, and you want to burn them in (typically with well-done ASS subtitles).