Convert from 10bit to 8bit

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
vitormilagres

Convert from 10bit to 8bit

Post by vitormilagres »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to convert my 4K MKV videos from 10bit to 8bit because Plex does not natively support 10-bit 4K videos. I can take care of the RF, bitrate, audio and subtitle tracks later, for now I just want to know about the bit-depth What is the option on the command line that tells the deamon to have the output file to have a bit-depth of 8bits? Could someone write down a line of code as an example?

I am running it on Ubuntu Server, but I also have version 1.07 on Windows

Thanks
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Convert from 10bit to 8bit

Post by JohnAStebbins »

HandBrake, by default, generates *only* 8-bit output. It can be coaxed into generating 10-bit output by installing a 10-bit version of libx264 or libx265 in the appropriate place on your system. If you have 10-bit libraries installed you'll see new options in the video encoder dropdown that look like "H.264 10-bit (x264)". The default 8-bit encoder is labeled "H.264 (x264)" in the video encoder dropdown. The default is always used unless you manually changed it yourself.
vitormilagres

Re: Convert from 10bit to 8bit

Post by vitormilagres »

Thank you very much JohnAStebbins. That was very helpful!