Frequent dropped frames when converting from HLS source

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DrWebster

Frequent dropped frames when converting from HLS source

Post by DrWebster »

For over a year now I've had a workflow where I've recorded a live HLS stream, then converted the saved file using HandBrake CLI. It's worked beautifully until just recently, when I started getting frequent dropped frames in the HandBrake output file. It's typically a second or more of the video that gets dropped. I'm using the script gohls (https://github.com/kz26/gohls) to save the HLS stream to file, then once that process completes, HandBrake converts it. (The main reason for converting it is to reduce file size.)

All of this is running on Mac OS X (macOS now, I guess) and doesn't seem to be version-dependent as it happens both on El Capitan and Sierra.

Something important I should note is that the original video file plays just fine in VLC -- it's only when converted do I get the dropped frames.

Here's a paste of the complete log from the HandBrake process. You'll notice a ton of "audio 0x1e2 time went backwards" and "video time didn't advance" errors. Clearly this is part of the problem, but I'm not sure what can be done.

http://pastebin.com/Kb4GqavS

Any advice would be much appreciated!
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Frequent dropped frames when converting from HLS source

Post by mduell »

You're likely experiencing packet loss (or upstream is) when recording the HLS, resulting in a variety of corruptions in the stream.

A couple things to try:

#1 the nightly build of HandBrake

#2 VideoReDo's Quick Stream Fix
Deleted User 13735

Re: Frequent dropped frames when converting from HLS source

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Playability is no indicator of the presence or absence of stream errors.