Future of High Profile Preset

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Future of High Profile Preset

Post by DrXenos »

Hi. I apologize if this information is already posted somewhere (or if your policy is to not reveal future plans).

I see that the "High Profile" preset is now labeled "legacy" in the nightly build. Does this mean it is being deprecated and will be removed in the future? If so, can you give me some advice on what to replace it with (I see there is a plethora of new presets). I use this profile exclusively, but generating mkv files instead of mp4. I don't modify it's defaults (except to enable detelecine & decombing) and I typically leave the videos I am transcoding at their existing picture size (sometimes I reduce 1080 Blu-rays to 720 or even 480).

Thanks,
DrX
Deleted User 13735

Re: Future of High Profile Preset

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I believe Legacy has always meant Baseline profile.
What do you see that has changed?
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

I'm not referring to the 264 profiles, but the HandBrake preset called "High Profile."

I'm not I don't see an changes. I just noticed that the Windows GUI version (which I use to visually inspect sources before I run them through the cmdline) now put that preset in a group called "Legacy," with the preset name prefixed with the same.

I was just worried that meant the "High Profile" preset was being retired.

Thanks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

DrXenos, it is being retired. Will be left in for 1 version to allow people to get used to the new presets. So to be clear, it'll be included in 1.0. No guarentees for any feature release there after.

HQ 1080p30 Surround is probably the closest match. (Might be a tad slower and in theory might produce a marginally better result since it uses the "Slow" not "Medium" x264 preset)
Altough there is nothing stopping you using any settings you wish.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Thanks. Can you tell me what settings the "High Profile" preset uses? It use to be shown in old "trac" documentation, but I can't find it in the new stuff.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Just load the app up and look at the settings. It's not changed.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If you export the preset to a file, the result is readable in a text editor. That file might not be usable in the next version, but it will tell you what was set in it.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Awesome! Thanks, Woodstock. I've never noticed that option.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

What I'd really like to know (and what the old documentation use to show) is what command line options are used by a given preset. Is there way to get that information?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Presets don't necessarily correspond to a set of command-line options. There are things you can do with the GUI that can't be translated to a command line (e.g. in terms of automatic track selection and so on).
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

I'm more interested in what 264 settings the preset uses, not what tracks are selected, etc. The latter I can figure out. The former is black magic to me.

Thanks.
Deleted User 11865

That's quite easy to figure out, all those settings are on the video panel :P

Code: Select all

--encoder-preset medium
--encoder-tune none
--encoder-profile high
--encoder-level 4.1
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

I thought I remembered from the old Trac docs that there were some advanced "tweak" settings for 264 uses in the high profile preset. No?
Deleted User 11865

Yes, but there were removed in version 0.9.something, can't recall which one exactly.

Code: Select all

--encopts b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50
…which put the old High Profile preset somewhere between medium and slow x264 presets.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Thanks, Rodeo. Very helpful.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I think HandBrakeCLI --preset-list still prints out the CLI query for each preset too.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.
Deleted User 11865

s55 wrote:I think HandBrakeCLI --preset-list still prints out the CLI query for each preset too.
Not in master, IIRC, because CLI presets are now JSON-based. But true for any build up to 0.10.5 :)