Using subtitle burn-in for watermarking

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Abscond

Using subtitle burn-in for watermarking

Post by Abscond »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:
I'm trying to use SRT subtitle burn-in to watermark some videos. I've written a simple SRT file with a very long-lasting subtitle, and then I'm trying to burn it, but the subtitles aren't showing up in the output.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What operating system are you running. etc.
I'm running the Handbrake CLI 0.10.5 on OS X 10.11.4. Handbrake was installed via Homebrew.

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
No error displayed.

Please include the scan or encode log:
Here's the Pastebin of the encode log: http://pastebin.com/x1bjX1VV

Here's the command line:

Code: Select all

handbrakecli -v 9 -i inputMovie.mov -o outputMovie.mov --srt-file subtitle.srt --srt-burn
Here's the SRT file:

00:00:00,000 --> 04:00:00,000
Watermark test

Deleted User 11865

Re: Using subtitle burn-in for watermarking

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Seems like the default charset is something weird. You should always set it anyway (to the charset of your SRT file). IIRC the option is --srt-charset (see the built-in help).
Abscond

Re: Using subtitle burn-in for watermarking

Post by Abscond »

Thanks for the suggestion, Rodeo! Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help. The SRT file is a simple ASCII file, but even when I tried using --srt-codeset with codesets that should work with an ASCII file ("ascii", "latin1", "utf8", "utf-8"), I still got no subtitles burned into the output movie.

The only difference in the encode log when using --srt-codeset is the one line:

[15:46:40]  * subtitle track 1, Unknown (track 0, id 0xff) Text [SRT] -> Render/Burn-in, offset: 0, charset: utf8
Side note: The codeset does matter: If I pick a codeset that I know doesn't exist, Handbrake bails out with an error as expected.