Cropping

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Cropping

Post by DrXenos »

Can someone please tell me the correlation between width/height and cropping? I noticed on the Windows GUI, when I adjust the cropping, it will automatically adjust the width and/or height. Should I do the same with the command line tool or should I just set the width to what I want (e.g., 720) and then crop?

Thanks.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Cropping

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Cropping happens first. Then any scaling is applied to the cropped result. I can't make a suggestion what particular values you should set since I have no idea what your source or desired output is. But generally speaking, most people don't need to modify crop or width/height. Most folks just need to pick an appropriate preset and let HandBrake figure the rest out.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Thanks, John. With the GUI, I rarely modify the cropping, and then it's just to zero it out because it's chopping off too much (doesn't happen very often).

I really don't want to mess with either one. I'd rather let HandBrake handle it (it tends to be smarter than I am!). My concern is the CLIGuide say for widescreen, the default width is 720. Does that mean if I feed it a 1080p movie, it's going to shrink it down to 480p? I would hope the default is to just keep the same size, unmodified.

Thanks.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

DrXenos wrote:I would hope the default is to just keep the same size, unmodified.
That depends on the preset you choose. The device presets all limit resolution to whatever is supported by the target device. "Normal" and "High Profile" presets use the resolution of the source after cropping.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Awesome! I use "High." So, I don't have to mess with it. Thanks, John.