Hnadbrake CLI is Unresponsive

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
SonicPet07

Hnadbrake CLI is Unresponsive

Post by SonicPet07 »

Problem: The CLI doesn't want to run from the command line. It hangs immediately.

I'm running the CLI on a Windows 10 64-bit Machine (Formerly Windows 7). I wrote a script to automate the encode of my media library. I've been using it unchanged with the exception of the occasional Handbrake Update for about a year. I originally noticed the problem when my script didn't want to run. I honestly do not know if it has ever worked on windows 10. I have not needed to run the script in some time so I'm not sure if it's the 10.2 and later version broken or my Windows 10 install.

I tried running the first portion of the script on its own in a command line using 10.2 and nightly build 20151220192913-57a9f48-master-win-x86_64.

In both cases it's like the program immediately gets locked up and the file itself becomes locked by the OS (Can't write over for example). The first line I run is below. Normally I dump the output to a file for processing but in either case the program immediately hangs and the CMD becomes useless though never appears unresponsive.

Code: Select all

HandbrakeCLI.exe -i FILE -t 0 
Any Ideas? I haven't tried on another Win7 or Win10 machine yet. It's on the list of things to do.

Note: I don't have any issues using the GUI. I've been using it to experiment with x265. I want my script to compare results on a larger scale.

Update 1: Seems to be sometime specific to my Machine. Tried and confirmed functionality on another Windows 10 Machine. I'm still not sure what may be the problem... Guess it's time for a clean install. Any other suggestions?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Hnadbrake CLI is Unresponsive

Post by Woodstock »

Well, that command line doesn't give an output file name, and says to encode title zero. Could you try a more complete command line?
SonicPet07

Re: Hnadbrake CLI is Unresponsive

Post by SonicPet07 »

Refreshed the Windows 10 Install and it seems to have cleared up. In my script I use the following line to dump the info for the video to a file where I then use that to select one or more video and audio tracks for encoding. I then use a much longer more traditional command to encode the video with the desired tracks.

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI.exe -i FILE -t 0 2>FILE.txt
-t 0 actually tells it to dump out the info for all tracks. No encoding is being done at this step. the 2>File.txt Dumps the normal output to the txt file.