Using quick sync encoder when not supported

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Binnerup

Using quick sync encoder when not supported

Post by Binnerup »

Hi guys,

If I specify handbrake to use the quick sync encoder, and the system does not support it, or, it is not supported due to drivers lacking or for various other reasons - will handbrake just revert to the non quick sync encoder?

In other words, can I always pass to handbrake to use the quick sync encoder, no matter if the system supports it or not, and be sure to get the same speed and encoding that I would have, if I did not request handbrake to use the quick sync encoder?

Having just one set of command lines to pass, no matter the system would be ideal.

Best regards,

Brian Binnerup
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Using quick sync encoder when not supported

Post by s55 »

In other words, can I always pass to handbrake to use the quick sync encoder, no matter if the system supports it or not, and be sure to get the same speed and encoding that I would have, if I did not request handbrake to use the quick sync encoder?
Nope. If Quicksync isn't available, you can't use it. You'll have to use another encoder e.g x264 which will produce different results.
Binnerup

Post by Binnerup »

Ok, too bad.

Perhaps it could be ideal with an "auto-select" profile that uses qsv_h264 encoder if quick sync is supported, and then use x264 if not supported.

That would allow you to send the same command line no matter which system it is on.

Any clue where to request that?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The CLI should automatically fall back to x264; not sure what happens in the Windows GUI if you select a preset that calls for QSV and it's unavailable…
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

With my script you can define --qsv that uses qsv_x264 as encoder and falls back to x264 if qsv is not available.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26163

Al
Deleted User 11865

There's no such thing as "qsv_x264", FWIW. Typos do matter when using the CLI :P
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

qsv_h264 of course - thats why I've named the argument simply --qsv in my script. :-)
Deleted User 11865

That'll work OK until someone adds qsv_h265 down the road :P

Of course this may not happen before hardware-accelerated encoding is added to Intel's drivers, since their software HEVC plugin is not free and we want our users to be able to use what we implement…
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

:-)
Binnerup

Post by Binnerup »

Rodeo wrote:The CLI should automatically fall back to x264; not sure what happens in the Windows GUI if you select a preset that calls for QSV and it's unavailable…
This is the CLI forum area, so it was the CLI I was asking in regards to.

This just seems to be opposite what s55 writes.

I am a bit confused :-)
Binnerup

Post by Binnerup »

AlBundy wrote:With my script you can define --qsv that uses qsv_x264 as encoder and falls back to x264 if qsv is not available.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26163

Al
Would like to avoid using scripts, but will definately check out what your script does to handle.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

That's simple.
Default encoder is h264 if --qsv is specified, the script checks if qsv_h264 is available and activates it.

Al
Binnerup

Post by Binnerup »

Al, x264, to follow the correct naming :-)

How does it check if it is available?
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

I'm using CLI to get the list of available encoders. :-)