autocrop settings

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
stevecrox

autocrop settings

Post by stevecrox »

I'm am looking at switching to Handbrakecli I think I have everything sorted out except I decide a video bit rate based on a formula height * width * 0.012345 (x264 codec) * 0.55. Handbrake has an auto crop feature which removes the blank space around a DVD, which obviously changes the height/width.

Does anyone know how I can get this auto cropped height/width value? So I can calculate my bit rate value
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: autocrop settings

Post by Smithcraft »

Since it varies by the source, you could use the GUI to scan your source and get the crop values.

SC
stevecrox

Post by stevecrox »

Yes but doing that rather defeats the point of using Handbrakecli.

I have a bash script which uses dvdbackup to rip each title off of a DVD, the seperate VOB's for a title are concatenated together, any concatenated file smaller than 1GB is deleted. The concated file takes the DVD name and the title name.

I would then like to run a bash script which iterates through files in a folder and supplied them to HandbrakeCLI. I've figured out the basic audio/video settings I want to run, but to work out a decent video bitrate I need to be able to retrieve the auto-cropped values, I'm happy with a time delay while handbrakecli loads the same file twice. Otherwise I am stuck using the default DVD resolution of 720*576 which could produce files much larger than I need them to be.

I could do all of this from the GUI but setting up each file from the GTK gui takes a couple of minutes and it is something that could be completely automated.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

<blinks>

Rather than faffing about with frame sizes and bits per pixel calculations, why not simply use CRF encoding?
stevecrox

Post by stevecrox »

I've tried a couple of different values on a few different files I found the output a bit variable which put me off it. I might have a look at it again if there isn't a way around.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

stevecrox wrote:I've tried a couple of different values on a few different files I found the output a bit variable which put me off it.
That's the point. Not all content is of equal complexity.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

What you need to do is try the SAME title at a range of settings so you can see what quality YOU are happy with.