[Script] convert episodes or main-feature from DVD or BD or convert multiple files (on any os)

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Re: [Script] rip episodes or main-feature from DVD or BD

Post by AlBundy »

You could try this (untested)

Code: Select all

[anim-com]
--audio
eng
--subtitles
eng
--audio-track
encoder=auto
--audio-settings
track=*,encoder=copy
--audio-settings
track=(Commentary|Stereo) ,encoder=av_aac,mixdown=stereo,bitrate=96
--min-length
00:10:00
--max-length
00:50:00
Means: if no specific setting found, copy the track (*) or reencode commentary and stereo tracks.

If you want to match a specific track number you can try ^1\. (^ = start of description, followed by a one, followed by a dot)
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

The regex is tested against the audio tracks description

def to_s
      "#{pos}. #{descr} (codec=#{codec}, channels=#{channels}, lang=#{lang}, comment=#{comment}, rate=#{rate}, bitrate=#{bitrate}, commentary=#{commentary?()})"
    end
KingDaveRa

Post by KingDaveRa »

Thanks for that. OK, this works on a DVD with commentaries on some tracks, or on all tracks:

--audio-settings
track=1\.,encoder=copy
--audio-settings
track=Commentary,encoder=av_aac,mixdown=stereo,bitrate=96
The caret stopped it working, but the dot needs escaping all the same. However, on a DVD with no commentaries, I found only this works (and also works on the previous types):

[anim-com]
--audio
eng
--subtitles
eng
--audio-track
encoder=auto
--audio-settings
--audio-settings
track=*,encoder=copy
--min-length
--max-length
So oddly, it seems doing it in reverse works best! I stripped it down to a single track matching on 1\. and ^1\., but it still won't pick up the primary track. The only difference is this DVD is 2.0 audio, whereas the others are 5.1.

[2014-12-31, 21:53:15]  INFO -- hb.rb: checking audio-track 1. English (AC3) (5.1 ch) (codec=AC3, channels=5.1 ch, lang=eng, comment=, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=448000bps, commentary=false)
[2014-12-31, 21:53:15]  INFO -- hb.rb: checking audio-track 2. English (AC3) (Director's Commentary 1) (2.0 ch) (codec=AC3, channels=2.0 ch, lang=eng, comment=Director's Commentary 1, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=192000bps, commentary=true)

[2014-12-31, 21:59:13]  INFO -- hb.rb: checking audio-track 1. English (AC3) (2.0 ch) (codec=AC3, channels=2.0 ch, lang=eng, comment=, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=192000bps, commentary=false)
It's different, but it's not what I'm searching for.
KingDaveRa

Post by KingDaveRa »

Thanks for that. OK, this works on a DVD with commentaries on some tracks, or on all tracks:

--audio-settings
track=1\.,encoder=copy
--audio-settings
The caret stopped it working, but the dot needs escaping all the same. However, on a DVD with no commentaries, I found only this works (and also works on the previous types):

[anim-com]
--audio
eng
--subtitles
eng
--audio-track
encoder=auto
--audio-settings
--audio-settings
track=*,encoder=copy
--min-length
--max-length
So oddly, it seems doing it in reverse works best! I stripped it down to a single track matching on 1\. and ^1\., but it still won't pick up the primary track. The only difference is this DVD is 2.0 audio, whereas the others are 5.1.

[2014-12-31, 21:53:15]  INFO -- hb.rb: checking audio-track 1. English (AC3) (5.1 ch) (codec=AC3, channels=5.1 ch, lang=eng, comment=, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=448000bps, commentary=false)
[2014-12-31, 21:53:15]  INFO -- hb.rb: checking audio-track 2. English (AC3) (Director's Commentary 1) (2.0 ch) (codec=AC3, channels=2.0 ch, lang=eng, comment=Director's Commentary 1, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=192000bps, commentary=true)

[2014-12-31, 21:59:13]  INFO -- hb.rb: checking audio-track 1. English (AC3) (2.0 ch) (codec=AC3, channels=2.0 ch, lang=eng, comment=, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=192000bps, commentary=false)
It's different, but it's not what I'm searching for.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

Maybe

^1[.].*
works to match the first track.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

I've rechecked - the pattern must match the description

def descr(remove_codec = false, remove_channels = false)
      d = @descr.dup
      d.gsub!(/\s*[(]?#{codec}[)]?/, "") if remove_codec
      d.gsub!(/\s*[(]?#{channels}[)]?/, "") if remove_channels
      d.strip!
      return d
    end
Maybe I'll change this in the next version.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

You can try this
Search in lib/hb_lib.rb for the string
t.descr.match(s["track"])
and replace it with
t.to_s.match(s["track"])
KingDaveRa

Post by KingDaveRa »

OK, made that change. That's pretty simple, and it gives me all the power now. :D

So I've got this: It's a work in progress but it's matching a LOT more reliably.

[anim-com]
--audio
eng
--subtitles
eng
--audio-track
encoder=auto
--audio-settings
track=^1[.].*,encoder=copy
--audio-settings
track=(?=^(?![1\.]))(?=.*commentary=true)(?=.*Commentary).*,encoder=av_aac,mixdown=stereo,bitrate=96
--min-length
--max-length
So I'm looking explicitly for track 1, and copying that, then looking for anything that *isn't* track one, but is a commentary, then doing an encode. I've got a couple of dvds which present themselves thusly:

[2015-01-01, 00:27:45]  WARN -- hb.rb:   audio-tracks
[2015-01-01, 00:27:45]  WARN -- hb.rb:     - track 1: [eng] English (AC3) (2.0 ch)
[2015-01-01, 00:27:45]  WARN -- hb.rb:     - track 2: [eng] English (AC3) (2.0 ch)
[2015-01-01, 00:27:45]  WARN -- hb.rb:     - track 3: [eng] English (AC3) (2.0 ch)
I may just have to admit defeat and re-encode those. Some are multiple commentaries, whilst some are stereo mixes of the main track, or Audio Described. It's a bit of a mish-mash really.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

commentary=true and check for Commentaty is the same because commentary is only true if the description contains Commentary. :-)

Glad to hear that it works now.
TO DO for me: remove the break and match against to_s

The script is for "default szenarios" and tries to provide as much information as possible.
Sorry that it didn't work for all of your DVDs. ;-)
KingDaveRa

Post by KingDaveRa »

commentary=true and check for Commentaty is the same because commentary is only true if the description contains Commentary. :-)
Haha! There's always a simpler answer.... Oh well!

Still, this gives me a lot of flexibility.

Thing is, I found when I was trying to do similar things with the HandbrakeGUI, it would do some really funky things depending on the source DVD. There's no consistency between DVDs. The ones I'm testing with are from various sources, and they're all different, so it's very hard to make a one-size fits all. That said, I think I've got something that is pretty good in that it'll cover a lot of bases. I'll obviously have to do some custom ones for special cases, but that's OK.

Thanks for all the help. This is a really great script. :D
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

You're welcome.
Btw.: happy new year ;-)
KingDaveRa

Post by KingDaveRa »

Happy new year to you too. 8)
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

I've updated my files - I've removed the break-statement and changed t.descr to t.to_s to match tracks.
If you run with --verbose you'll set the output of to_s in the audio-track-listing.
KingDaveRa

Post by KingDaveRa »

I tried it with and without the break, and it didn't seem to make much difference. I think it's running with it, right now.

I'll test more thoroughly soon, I probably won't get much chance to play around with it again until Sunday at the earliest.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

Did the last version work for you?

Al
KingDaveRa

Post by KingDaveRa »

Weirdly, I was just staring at the machine I was running all this on, thinking 'I should try that again soon'. I'm so sorry, I've not had chance to get back to it yet. Been meaning to but just not found time I'm afraid. Hopefully I'll take a look in the next couple of days. In the brief testing I did do, however, it did seem to be working.
virgilfox

Post by virgilfox »

Love this script! Is there a way to block subtitles without also blocking the commentary track from the encoded file?
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

Simply set --subtitles none

Al
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

i've uploaded a new version.
Some users reported that encoding with hb_rb did not start - reason was that the modification time of the file was in future.
Therefore a warning is now logged, if my script waits for a "future-file". :-)
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Re: [Script] convert episodes or main-feature from DVD or BD or convert multiple files (on any os)

Post by AlBundy »

Just out of curiosity, does someone use my script together with own scripts?
Maybe I can add those features to my script. :-)
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Re: Mass convert folder full of .ISO files

Post by nhyone »

for %f in (*.iso) do HandBrakeCLI --input %f --output %~nf.mkv --preset <preset>
Not-interrupt safe -- it always starts from the first file. If you want something interrupt-safe, you need to skip if the output files already exist.
Trogburn

Re: [Script] convert episodes or main-feature from DVD or BD or convert multiple files (on any os)

Post by Trogburn »

First off, thanks OP for the awesome script, and obviously all the hard work on this project! Many props to you and this forums/group of members for looking into improving this idea.

For everyone on here, I have always been a 'custom is better' type of guy... so I tend to work outside the lane of the normal presets in handbrake, and optimize quite a bit for encoding. Using a few different resources I have built a template that works well except for a few final details that I can't seem to get to work right inside the script, and I am wondering if the community can help me on (and maybe you can benefit from my script as well? :D ).

I have not figured out how to get the DRC or GAIN to work correctly for the Audio Track. During the encode the DRC always shows up for the Audio Track as --drc 0.0 and the GAIN does not show up as all. I have tried putting both of these tags outside the --xtra section, and I have tried putting them both inside the --xtra section as well, but neither seems to work. Anyone get these to work? Also, if anyone is curious, I have provided some very helpful resources (links) at the bottom of this post that should shed some light at how I arrived at some of my custom settings.

So here is what I have so far.

For NON-DISNEY / OLDER-STYLE ANIMATION SPECIFIC MOVIES (in other words, everything else besides older animations + disney type movies), I use the following:

hb.rb --input "H:\TEST\*\*.mkv" --main --titles 1 --output "I:\MOVIES (FS - Rips & Re-encodes)\#source_parentname#\#source_basename#.mkv" --autocrop --no-loose-anamorphic --skip-commentaries --quality 20 --decomb --detelecine --only-first-track-per-language --audio-track encoder=av_aac,mixdown=stereo,language=eng,arate=auto,bitrate=320 --xtra "-f mkv -e x264 --drc 2.5 --gain 3.0 --vfr -x level=4.1:no-fast-pskip:ref=4:bframes=8:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:subme=10:merange=24:analyse=all:trellis=2:psy-rd=1.0,0.15:no-dct-decimate=1:deblock=-1,-1:vbv-bufsize=13000:vbv-maxrate=13000:crf=21:rc-lookahead=50 --verbose=1"
For DISNEY / OLDER-STYLE ANIMATION SPECIFIC MOVIES, I use the following:

hb.rb --input "H:\TEST\*\*.mkv" --main --titles 1 --output "I:\MOVIES (FS - Rips & Re-encodes)\#source_parentname#\#source_basename#.mkv" --autocrop --no-loose-anamorphic --skip-commentaries --quality 20 --decomb --detelecine --only-first-track-per-language --audio-track encoder=av_aac,mixdown=stereo,language=eng,arate=auto,bitrate=320 --drc 2.5 --gain 3.0 --xtra "-f mkv -e x264 --vfr -x level=4.1:no-fast-pskip:ref=4:bframes=8:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:subme=10:merange=24:analyse=all:trellis=2:psy-rd=0.4,0.00:no-dct-decimate=1:deblock=1,1:vbv-bufsize=13000:vbv-maxrate=13000:crf=21:rc-lookahead=50 --verbose=1"

Helpful Resources / Links:
https://mattgadient.com/2012/06/25/a-ru ... ngs-0-9-6/
https://mattgadient.com/2013/06/12/a-be ... ake-0-9-9/
https://mattgadient.com/2013/06/20/comp ... -examples/

Hope some of this information helps someone!
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

drc and gain is part of your command.
The first drc with 0.0 comes as default from my script - the second one is yours.
Trogburn

Post by Trogburn »

AlBundy wrote:drc and gain is part of your command.
The first drc with 0.0 comes as default from my script - the second one is yours.
Then i guess the real question is: Does my DRC setting override your default DRC setting in your script? If not, how do I reconfigure your DRC setting your script?

Also, what about the GAIN setting? Is there a way to do that in your script?

Is there a way to verify both settings are working correctly?
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

I hope that your drc overrides my default because your value will be added later in command line.
You could try an encode with 0 and another with a very high value and compare the results.
so, what about the GAIN setting? Is there a way to do that in your script?
What do you mean with that?

Al