how bad is it - multiple encodings started by batch file

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MilkmanWes

how bad is it - multiple encodings started by batch file

Post by MilkmanWes »

Setting up a batch file to be executed by a torrent and there is a real possibility of it doubling up on processing as one torrent completes downloading and starts processing before it's predecessor is completed. I can take various steps to force it to run only one handbrakecli thread at a time, that is really not hard. But before I do does anyone have any insight into how concerned I should be over it firing up 2 or 3 at once? Using winxp and just 2 gigs of ram, to give you an idea a 1 hour mkv file takes around 1:20 to complete.

Are there complications other than maxing system resources to be aware of? I do not see much that leads me to believe that in the forum.

How well does it play with other threads competing for the same disk access and processor flops?

Not much else runs on this pc right now, so I have processor overhead to spare.
Deleted User 11865

Re: how bad is it - multiple encodings started by batch file

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

MilkmanWes wrote:But before I do does anyone have any insight into how concerned I should be over it firing up 2 or 3 at once? Using winxp and just 2 gigs of ram, to give you an idea a 1 hour mkv file takes around 1:20 to complete.

Are there complications other than maxing system resources to be aware of? I do not see much that leads me to believe that in the forum.
Should work OK, but HandBrake does tend to use quite a bit of RAM (as much as 1.5 GB for 1080p) - mostly due to the x264 lookahead, AFAIK. Running low on RAM could slow down encoding (because of paging) and maybe even result in other issues.