CLI creating "unplayable on ipod", GUI is fine

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
robdew

CLI creating "unplayable on ipod", GUI is fine

Post by robdew »

I tried to translate the GUI Handbrake settings for ipod that I know work just fine.

These are the settings in the GUI version that work fine.

This is my equivalent cmd line:

Code: Select all

screen -d -m /home/robd/video/HandbrakeCLI -i $videoTSdir -o /home/robd/video/$movieName$i.ipod.mp4\
     -t $i -2 -B 160 -R 48 -E AAC -e x264b30 -f MP4 -m -b 1450 -x\ 
     frameref=1:bframes=0:nofast_pskip:subq=6:partitions=p8x8,p8x4,p4x8,i4x4:qcomp=0:me=umh:nodct_decimate`
Is there something I am missing? Files encoded from dvd via the GUI setting above work just fine. The cmd line versions says "cannot copy to ipod because it's not playable"

I am doing the CLI encoding on an ubuntu box, but I've never had problems before with encoding via the CLI.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

The iPod can only play video that's been scaled down to a width of 640....

There's no need to specify -f MP4 if you already have .mp4 at the end of the filename. And AAC is the default audio encoder for .mp4, so there's no need to specify -E AAC either.
robdew

Post by robdew »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a way to specify the max width and tell the encoder to simply keep the aspect ratio so it will figure out the height on its own? Or do I have explicitly define both?

I looked over the options and it looks like the need to be explicit.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

If you specify a width ( -w 640 ) but not a height, it will use a height that keeps the aspect ratio.