Selecting subtitles of only specified language via CLI

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dooferorg

Selecting subtitles of only specified language via CLI

Post by dooferorg »

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible using the CLI version to only select subtitles of a certain language? For example I have a disc that has 4 'subtitle tracks'. There are 3 VOBSUB tracks (English, French, Spanish) and a text track for Closed Captions. The English and Closed Captions are the ones I want in my final files. I have been playing with the options and I don't seem to be able to get it to do what I want. Sure I can go ahead and do '--subtitle 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8' so I get all the subtitle tracks but then I'm keeping subtitles I don't care about and only get in the way when selecting between the VOBSUB subtitles and closed captions, plus they waste space. Doing --native-language still doesn't do what I need and if I try for scan, I don't get anything.

I have been able to used mkvinfo and mkvmerge to see what tracks are what language and then remux specifying only the subtitle tracks I want. I can probably automate this step too but it would be cleaner if I could get HandBrake to do what I want in one go.

Hints would be appreciated. I've been testing mainly with HandBrake 0.9.4 but the options in 0.9.5 seem pretty unchanged in that regard.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Selecting subtitles of only specified language via CLI

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Unfortunately, no. There is no way to automatically add all tracks matching a specified language.
dooferorg

Post by dooferorg »

Ah.. bummer..

Request to add this to feature requests? :)
Nonsanity

Post by Nonsanity »

You can run with -t 0 to get a info dump of the source, which will tell you what language each track is. Then you can choose which ones to include. I've found some audio and subtitle tracks on some disks fail to provide a language, so if you automate this you need to decide to include those or not.

~ Nonsanity