Probably the noobiest question yet

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
xviciousx

Probably the noobiest question yet

Post by xviciousx »

I just downloaded dropfolders a half an hour ago and am trying to convert a bunch of videos for my ipod the thing is that the extension needs to end in m4v because my ipod wont accept the file

i cant do this with dropfolders because i cant change the extension as it automatically does that and cant be edited, so i looked more into it and i see that i can use the cli.

so i was wondering if i could just bypass this, create a watch folder within the cli argument and have all the files end with m4v

so with that said i have 2 questions

i downloaded the cli file and double clicked it and a flash of command prompt opens then it closes and nothing happens do i need a program to open the cli file

and

can i tell the cli to convert a folder
Last edited by xviciousx on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Re: Probably the noobiest question yet

Post by randomreuben »

ARRGH! This smells awful piratey, me matey. ARRGH! Shiver me timbers! See Forum Rule #3.

EDIT: Unless by drop folders you mean legally acquired DVDs/Blu-Rays. But otherwise, see above. ARRGH!
xviciousx

Post by xviciousx »

nothing illegal about anything i said
i have video files needing to be converted
dropfolders is a 3rd party program
http://ctl.du.edu/staff/josephlabrecque/DropFolders/
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You need to run the CLI from the terminal so you can pass it arguments to provide the input/output file and options.
randomreuben wrote:ARRGH! This smells awful piratey, me matey. ARRGH! Shiver me timbers! See Forum Rule #3.
Piracy detection FAIL.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

Clearly. I'm returning my piracy detection unit to the nearest retailer for a full refund and writing a stern letter to the purveyor of such questionable goods.
xviciousx

Post by xviciousx »

LMAO!!! @ rueben it okay it happens to all of us everynow and then...i think

what do you mean run it from the terminal lol
i mean this is like the only thing ima a noob at im a quick i just need to know how to start up the cli so i can start giving it arguments ive been studying but i just cant open the HandBrakeCLI.exe
Dalton63841

Post by Dalton63841 »

With the app Drop Folders, you don't need to open terminal or anything. You just need handbrake installed. Drop folders sets a watch folder. When you put the file to be converted into that folder it should automatically start processing it.

EDIT: Found this link at the bottom of Drop Folders web page: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... opfolders/
xviciousx

Post by xviciousx »

right but i need to change the extension to an m4v or else my ipod wont accept

with dropfolders the developer made it so it automatically creates the output name, so no matter what it will end in a mp4

so i was wondering if i could just bypass this create a watch folder within the cli argument and have all the files end with m4v
Dalton63841

Post by Dalton63841 »

Okay, have you changed the Preset name to "iPod"? If you have and it still uses mp4, then that is just a limitation of the Drop Folders app.
xviciousx

Post by xviciousx »

exactly my point thats why i am trying to use just handbrake cli and create the argument myself i pretty much already have it made in notepad i just need to figure out how to open the cli
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

Why can't you simply rename the mp4 files to m4v before importing into iTunes?
xviciousx

Post by xviciousx »

did that still did not work
Dalton63841

Post by Dalton63841 »

Ahhh okay. There are several batch scripts available on this forum. I highly recommend this one: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18917
If you wrote it as a batch script, all you have to do is save the file, rename it as .bat instead of .txt, and double click on it.

EDIT: All of the vids on my iPod are mp4, so something strange is going on here in the first place...
xviciousx

Post by xviciousx »

yea thats wierd i have the ipod classic 2009 version and that has never worked for me i always had to use ipod/itunes friendly extension which changed the mp4 to m4v

no i did not write it as a batch
i used handbrake commands so i can transfer it to cli when i get that running

HandBrakeCLI -i \Video Folder Location -o \converted folder location\movie.m4v -e x264 -b 700 -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -6 dpl2 -R Auto -D 0.0 -f m4v -I -X 320 -m -x level=30:bframes=0:weightp=0:cabac=0:ref=1:vbv-maxrate=768:vbv-bufsize=2000:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:subme=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0
Dalton63841

Post by Dalton63841 »

Okay that type of command will only do one file at a time. You cannot point Handbrake at a folder. However if you see the batch script I pointed you to above, a "for" statement will run Handbrake over and over again for every appropriate file in the folder.
xviciousx

Post by xviciousx »

okay so how do run handbreakcli from the terminal thats is my main question ill figure it out from there
Dalton63841

Post by Dalton63841 »

Go to your start menu, type cmd.exe in the search bar, and press enter.

From there you type in your Handbrake commands.