Extracting CLI commands from GUI? (mac)

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
terabyteme

Extracting CLI commands from GUI? (mac)

Post by terabyteme »

Is it possible to open the gui (mac), and set all of the options, then see what the equivalent CLI command should be? Or perhaps, is there a log I can look in to see that info for a file I processed?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Extracting CLI commands from GUI? (mac)

Post by jbrjake »

terabyteme wrote:Is it possible to open the gui (mac), and set all of the options, then see what the equivalent CLI command should be? Or perhaps, is there a log I can look in to see that info for a file I processed?
Well, unlike a lot of GUIs for cross-platform applications, the Mac GUI for HandBrake doesn't just generate a command line string to send to the CLI.

It'd be technically feasible to translate the variables' values into the CLI equivalent, but it's not as easy as just exposing something already in use.

Someone has proposed doing just this with a cool text-file-based queuing system, but I haven't heard back from them yet.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Re: Extracting CLI commands from GUI? (mac)

Post by cvk_b »

terabyteme wrote:Is it possible to open the gui (mac), and set all of the options, then see what the equivalent CLI command should be? Or perhaps, is there a log I can look in to see that info for a file I processed?
Maybe you should get a manicure.