Cropping and pixelratio (aspect ratio?)

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
terabyteme

Cropping and pixelratio (aspect ratio?)

Post by terabyteme »

I have a few questions about the CLI I hope you gurus can help out with.

When I use the gui (mac), I have an option to "keep aspect ratio". I usually check this and also use autocrop. How do I do the same thing in the cli?

I see the CLI will default to autocrop, but I don't see what the "new" dimensions will be in the CLI like the GUI will show you. So I actually looked in the gui first with my movie file to see what dimensions it used, then specified that in the CLI - is this totally unnecessary?

Finally, is the -p pixelratio option the "keep aspect ratio" option I'm looking for?
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Not sure exactly what the answer is, I suspect it's probably the maxwidth/maxheight stuff. Not used the cli much.

However, I can tell you it's not -p, because that's anamorphic encoding.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Cropping and pixelratio (aspect ratio?)

Post by jbrjake »

terabyteme wrote:When I use the gui (mac), I have an option to "keep aspect ratio". I usually check this and also use autocrop. How do I do the same thing in the cli?
You get it by default in the CLI. Only turns off if you specify both width and height.
I see the CLI will default to autocrop, but I don't see what the "new" dimensions will be in the CLI like the GUI will show you. So I actually looked in the gui first with my movie file to see what dimensions it used, then specified that in the CLI - is this totally unnecessary?
Totally unnecessary. And all the output variables are shown when you run the application, so I'm not sure what you mean about it not showing you...
Finally, is the -p pixelratio option the "keep aspect ratio" option I'm looking for?
No, that's anamorphic.