Adapting GUI encode settings to handbrakecli

Discussion of the cross-platform HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details
garethrobson
New User

Adapting GUI encode settings to handbrakecli

Post by garethrobson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi,

This has probably been asked a thousand times but I cant find any useful info.

Is there an easy way to adapt an already functioning GUI profile form the Nightly build of handbrake (Im using H265) into a handbrakecli command?
I created all the options I want in the GUI but Im finding making a handbrakecli version of the same encode is difficult.

BradleyS

Re: Adapting GUI encode settings to handbrakecli

Post by BradleyS » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Save a custom preset in the GUI and then access it using HandBrakeCLI --preset-import-gui --preset="My Preset"

mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 pm

You can use the GUI preset import as a crutch, but in the long term you're way better off learning the relatively straightforward CLI syntax instead of depending on the angry spaghetti GUI.

DougH

Post by DougH » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 pm

One note about exporting a custom preset from the GUI, you may need to edit the JSON file because some GUI values aren't supported in the CLI. For example some fields are marked as null and the CLI doesn't like this. You're best bet is to do a short encode with your preset and then check the log to see if there's errors and fix them. That's what I had to do. Eventually I used the CLI to build my preset because I do 99.99% of my encoding from the CLI.

Rodeo
HandBrake Team

Post by Rodeo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 pm

DougH wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 pm
One note about exporting a custom preset from the GUI, you may need to edit the JSON file because some GUI values aren't supported in the CLI. For example some fields are marked as null and the CLI doesn't like this.
That should be reported as a bug please :)

DougH

Post by DougH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:54 pm

I reported it. :)