Apple TV profile failing

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kcossabo

Apple TV profile failing

Post by kcossabo »

Trying to convert VOB and MPEG2-TS to Apple TV acceptable MP4.

I select the Apple TV Profile, and sometimes, the video is not accepted by the Apple TV stating the video is not formated correctly? Video plays fine in iTunes and Quick time.

Source 1280 x 720, Keep Aspect ratio: off, Denoise: off, Output 960 x544, Crop: Auto, Detelecine: No, Anamorphic 965 x 544 loose, Deitnerlace:off, Deblock: off, Decomb.

Is there a way to debug a video that Apple TV is stating unacceptable, and determine why?
realityking
Veteran User

Re: Apple TV profile failing

Post by realityking »

Post an activity log (see the big red box above your post)
kcossabo

Post by kcossabo »

Your message contains 805470 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 120000.

Any particular part I should post. big red box does not indicate that!

Since this does not seem to be, as I hoped, a simple "ya, if you set XYZ that goes away". I will close the application, re-start it with one of the files that failed, then hope that the activity log is less than 12000 lines.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Sorry but the Activity Log contains a huge amount of information that is needed to figure out your problem.

Please use a pastebin like patsebin.ca or pastebin.com to upload the log.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

kcossabo wrote:Output 960 x544,Anamorphic 965 x 544 loose
Given the forum would not take your log, you get a pass ( though kudos for trying, its more than most do) ;)

Try dropping the picture size by one increment. If you are trying to do > 24 fps it cannot be greater than 540p. You are at 544 (height). There is a known bug in 0.9.3 appletv preset and HD sources that scales some of them to 544 height instead of 540 or less so 25 and 30 fps movies won't transfer (though the atv will allow 720p for 24 fps).
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Also moved to the more appropriate "Devices" forum.
suprdaveg

Post by suprdaveg »

Have you tried rebooting the Apple TV?

1)Hold down the Menu and Menu down/scroll (-) buttons on the remote for approximately 3 to 5 seconds, until the LED on Apple TV flashes yellow.

2)After Apple TV restarts, a screen appears asking you to pick a language. Select the language you wish to use.

3)The Apple TV Recovery screen appears with 3 selections:
Restart
Run Diagnostics
Factory Restore

click restart. The screen will flash a few times and the intro movie will play.

For whatever reason (I haven't figured out why yet) the Apple TV will not play videos that I know I have watched before on it. It still works in iTunes and Quicktime though. This solution works every time.

Good Luck.
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

Does setting your frame rate manually to 29.97 make a difference? It helped me.
dkeane

Post by dkeane »

tonyg wrote:Does setting your frame rate manually to 29.97 make a difference? It helped me.
As an FYI - I was having a bit of trouble getting Lion King to load onto the ATV - switched the Framerate (FPS) to 24 and now it loads fine a looks very good (also adjusted the quality to 63%). I have not tried 29.97 yet.