PS3 Encoding {Firmware 2.10}

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
aphonia

PS3 Encoding {Firmware 2.10}

Post by aphonia »

I'm very confused on what to encode a movie at for streaming to my PS3. I'm trying to keep the ac3 5.1 (using passthru) but have been unable to get it to work with any of the formats. I've tried:

AVI (MPEG-4 / AC-3 Audio)
AVI (AVC/ H.264 AC-3 Audio)
MP4
MKV

I've tried pretty much all the settings. I've even set the movies to encode under 2gigs as someone had mentioned to me earlier.

Any suggestions on how I can make a file that I can stream to my PS3 with AC3 Passthru?

EDIT: BTW on one of the AVI files I got an error when trying to play it. Said This content cannot be played (80028895).
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

You could try Mkv2Vob if you have access to a Windows PC.
aphonia

Post by aphonia »

Unfortunately I do not. I'm a Mac Gal. And not even one of them fancy Intel ones. Plain old G5 for me. Oh wells. Nothing I can do then.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

you probably have some friend that has a Windows PC, don't you? Just ask them nicely.
aphonia

Post by aphonia »

I guess... But that would get kind of annoying that every time I want to encode a movie or show I have to go to one of my friends to do it for me. LOL, so sad I cry.

So basically I'm assuming it's just not possible to get AC3 5.1 to play on your PS3 using Handbrake.
Phil Treble

Re: PS3 Encoding {Firmware 2.10}

Post by Phil Treble »

I am also using a Mac to encode MP4 for PS3 and have successfully got the AAC 5.1 to work.

I used the PS3 preset, then changed the audio encoding to 6ch discrete (I usually do a test chapter first because the PS3 is fussy about pixel dimensions -- so if you get a blank screen with audio then make sure that each dimension [width and height] is divisible by 16)

I struggled for a while with the PS3 output losing the centre channel but after a bit of digging I found out that you just need to reset the PS3 after your 2.10fw update by holding down the on/off touch sensitive button at the front for 5 seconds. You then get the initial set-up screens for resolution and then you're ready to go!

Make sure in the sound settings on your PS3 you check AAC and LPCM 5.1 48 options -- I checked all the LPCM bitrates actually.

So in conclusion, you don't get the AC3 3/2.1 stream as you do with Dolby Digital DVDs using Bitstream output, but you do get AAC 5.1 output in Linear PCM -- I assume this is providing your Receiver supports LPCM 5.1. For the record, my receiver is a Sony STR-DG710 and I am connecting everything with HDMI including the audio.
lordeagle
Novice

Post by lordeagle »

Hey Phil,

Just a question about your setup: your PS3 is connected to your receiver through HDMI? Then I assume you have a video out back to your TV from the receiver?

Currently my PS3 us hooked up to the TV through HDMI... and I have yet to connect the PS3 to the receiver. If I use the optical audio out of the PS3 to the receiver while still using the HDMI cable to the TV... is the PS3 going to send the audio through both HDMI and optical out?

Last question, I just re-read the Handbrake guide regarding surround sound, and how it says that when using the Discrete 6 channel audio, you can't use optical out on the Mac... does that also apply to the PS3?

Phil Treble

Post by Phil Treble »

Haven't a clue on any of those points mate. I am only reporting my success with a method. I can see no reason why you'd want to use optical if you have HDMI?? The PS3 supports many more audio output formats with HDMI than optical.

Yes, my receiver is connected to TV with HDMI.
BucksSaddler
Novice

Post by BucksSaddler »

Hi lordeagle,

To answer your question(s) it depends on what receiver / amp you have. I think the reason the guide is saying you can't use optical out on the Mac is because there aren't many receivers / amps on the market that can decode 6 discrete channels of AAC, they are few and far between. So unless your receiver / amp has this ability you will not get all the channels out of optical on the Mac or the PS3.
However the PS3 can internally convert the 6 channels of AAC into PCM, but because this then becomes uncompressed data (in terms of data size) there isn't enough bandwidth over optical to send 6 full channels (only 2), thats why you need HDMI or you will get it downconverted over optical. Therefore, to get the full 6 channels of surround sound you will have to connect the PS3 up to the receiver via HDMI and then, yes, you will probabaly need an HDMI back out from the receiver to the TV.
Hope that helps.
P.S Sorry for hijacking the OP's question
lordeagle
Novice

Post by lordeagle »

Hi BucksSaddler,

Yes it does help. I didn't know how limited the optical connection was (i've worked with networks a bit...and whenever a HUGE bandwidth is necessary, well we'd use fiber optics :) ).

Too bad so sad then, cos my roommate's receiver does not accept HDMI connections.
aphonia

Post by aphonia »

Yeah the problem I have encoding with 5.1 aac is that my Sony Audio Receiver is not able to translate that correctly. Basically my PS3 has an optical cable going to my Receiver, and when a 5.1 movie is played, it only comes out as 2.0 stereo. And when I go to the PS3 options it doesn't allow me to select 5.1 aac. That's why I was hoping I could use ac3 passthru, but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks again guys. Still trying to figure this out.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

AAC 5.1 only works trough HDMI as 5.1 thats your issue, and since the PS3 doesn't support AC3 passthrough I'm afraid your out of luck.
aphonia

Post by aphonia »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh... See I was not aware of that. All my genius friends here didn't know that either and said my Receiver was just a bad one. But they just don't know any better. Blehhhhhhhh to them.
lordeagle
Novice

Post by lordeagle »

Personally I bought an AppleTV since then (well since the take 2)...and well... LOVING IT!!!!

PS3 is a kick ass console, and I'll keep it for games and DivX/Xvid movies (well, Blu-ray too of course)
dougzer0

Post by dougzer0 »

BucksSaddler wrote:Hi lordeagle,

To answer your question(s) it depends on what receiver / amp you have. I think the reason the guide is saying you can't use optical out on the Mac is because there aren't many receivers / amps on the market that can decode 6 discrete channels of AAC, they are few and far between. So unless your receiver / amp has this ability you will not get all the channels out of optical on the Mac or the PS3.
However the PS3 can internally convert the 6 channels of AAC into PCM, but because this then becomes uncompressed data (in terms of data size) there isn't enough bandwidth over optical to send 6 full channels (only 2), thats why you need HDMI or you will get it downconverted over optical. Therefore, to get the full 6 channels of surround sound you will have to connect the PS3 up to the receiver via HDMI and then, yes, you will probabaly need an HDMI back out from the receiver to the TV.
Hope that helps.
P.S Sorry for hijacking the OP's question
Lemme see if I can digest all this information. Basically for PS3, encoding AC3 (dolby digitial) is out of the question for mp4/m4v containers. It can only output/pass through AC3 encoded audio from a VOB container. The PS3 will output 6 channel AAC audio only if you're connected to an audio receiver via HDMI or if the Audio receiver decodes compressed 6 channel AAC audio via optical (time to look at my NAD T751 manual!). It will still output the audio from an mp4 container with a 6 channel AAC track but will downconvert it to 2 channels (stereo or dolby pro logic 2?) over optical for receivers that cant support it.

*EDIT*
In a test I performed the PS3 did not downcovert the 6 channel AAC track to the optical out and no sound could be heard thru the A/V receiver. I verified that the same track played thru the HDMI connection to the TV. (my reciever does not have HDMI but the TV does).

I've also found that the ps3 gives an Unsupported Data message when trying to play mp4 files encoded with the PS3 preset but with an added 2nd track and subtitles on. So basically the best thing that works for me audio wise is the PS3 preset with AAC Encoding with Track 1 Automatic and Automatic Mix / Dolby Pro Logic II, Track 2 None and Subtitles None.

Setting Chapters on I can still play the m4v file on the PS3 (which does not recognize the chapters). On the PC Quicktime plays the same file and recognizes the chapters, so I'll prob just leave those on. I think I need to read the handbrake change logs ... now to locate them
*/EDIT*

At some point perhaps when Sony starts selling videos via the PLAYSTATION Network it is possible they may add AC3 support (optical and HDMI) to the mp4 container. (?)
skro

Post by skro »

to dougzer0,

I had the same problem...not hearing any audio over optical w/ 5.1.... you have to make sure your audio settings are correct ( i think you'll need to turn off aac5.1 output..... otherwise it is trying to output it but optical can't handle it) then you should get the audio output over 2 channels (I'm doing it, and use PLII to simulate surround).

skro
dougzer0

Post by dougzer0 »

hey thanks for the tip. I'll recreate my test file and try it again.
dougzer0

Post by dougzer0 »

yep that did the trick. Thanks !
buzglyd

Post by buzglyd »

I've got the same setup as you and have a question. What setting do you use on your Sony? If I have it on A.F.D. Auto, it does not play in 5.1 even though on the information screen on the PS3 it says AAC 5.1 48kHz. I can scroll through the menu and create the "faux" 5.1 using PLII or whatever.

I checked the AAC and LPCM options and am connected with HDMI.

My encodes for Apple TV play fine so I think I've encoded the movies for PS3 properly.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Phil Treble wrote:I am also using a Mac to encode MP4 for PS3 and have successfully got the AAC 5.1 to work.

I used the PS3 preset, then changed the audio encoding to 6ch discrete (I usually do a test chapter first because the PS3 is fussy about pixel dimensions -- so if you get a blank screen with audio then make sure that each dimension [width and height] is divisible by 16)

I struggled for a while with the PS3 output losing the centre channel but after a bit of digging I found out that you just need to reset the PS3 after your 2.10fw update by holding down the on/off touch sensitive button at the front for 5 seconds. You then get the initial set-up screens for resolution and then you're ready to go!

Make sure in the sound settings on your PS3 you check AAC and LPCM 5.1 48 options -- I checked all the LPCM bitrates actually.

So in conclusion, you don't get the AC3 3/2.1 stream as you do with Dolby Digital DVDs using Bitstream output, but you do get AAC 5.1 output in Linear PCM -- I assume this is providing your Receiver supports LPCM 5.1. For the record, my receiver is a Sony STR-DG710 and I am connecting everything with HDMI including the audio.
Phil Treble

Post by Phil Treble »

Hmmm... yes... it seems that since this Firmware version (I am on 2.41 now) AAC 5.1 is not being decoded correctly on my receiver too. I lose the centre channel when I check the AAC button in the preferences on the PS3. I have since FW2.20 resorted to making MKV files with Handbrake and converting them to VOB on PC which retains the AC3 5.1 Dolby Digital sound track.
buzglyd

Post by buzglyd »

Phil Treble wrote:Hmmm... yes... it seems that since this Firmware version (I am on 2.41 now) AAC 5.1 is not being decoded correctly on my receiver too. I lose the centre channel when I check the AAC button in the preferences on the PS3. I have since FW2.20 resorted to making MKV files with Handbrake and converting them to VOB on PC which retains the AC3 5.1 Dolby Digital sound track.
Well that just went totally over my head! I did have the same issues as you with losing the center channel. I'll just stick to ATV.

Also, I downloaded a "hi-def" movie last night with PS3 just because I was curious. It took hours to download and I had to stop the movie a few times to wait for it. This $5.99 movie was in two channel stereo! I think Sony has a ways to go before they catch up with Apple for movie rentals.
nashcity

Post by nashcity »

Phil Treble wrote:Hmmm... yes... it seems that since this Firmware version (I am on 2.41 now) AAC 5.1 is not being decoded correctly on my receiver too. I lose the centre channel when I check the AAC button in the preferences on the PS3. I have since FW2.20 resorted to making MKV files with Handbrake and converting them to VOB on PC which retains the AC3 5.1 Dolby Digital sound track.
I don't think you should have AAC box checked in the PS3 audio settings. I believe those settings are to determine what formats are supported by your receiver. If you check the AAC box, you are telling the PS3 to not decode the AAC 5.1 because you have a receiver that will do it, which is definitely not the case (are there any that do??) You should leave the AAC box unchecked so that the PS3 will decode the 6 channels of AAC and send it via PCM through HDMI to your receiver, which should see it as 6 channel PCM.