Ripping to Zune instructions - Easy as pie

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
spineblaZe

Ripping to Zune instructions - Easy as pie

Post by spineblaZe »

Zune plays .m4v files perfectly, just use that container.

1. Uncheck Anamorphic PAR on the main screen
2. Click "Browse" and type the name of the movie, it should automatically assign a .m4v extension
3. Type in 320x240 for the resolution
4. Set your target size in the video tab, I use between 300 or 400 for most movies, this is personal preference
5. Encode! Once it's done, load it to your Zune. *EDIT* Your Zune software will then automatically convert the files to wmv format. Takes some time, but works.
Last edited by spineblaZe on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Have you experimented at all with the Advanced H264 options?

I assume your using H264 right? You really should post all your settings.

.m4v extensions are only used when Chapter Markers is enabled. (fyi)
spineblaZe

Post by spineblaZe »

Yeah, H264, sorry. Noppe, I really don't mess with the other settings, I have no idea what they do.

By the way, it's "assume you're using H264 right?" :wink:
spineblaZe

Post by spineblaZe »

I just realized that when you sync them to your Zune, it converts them to wmv automatically. So yeah, not a perfect solution, but still works. :D
RandyRants

Post by RandyRants »

Depends on which Zune you have too.

The 4, 8, or 80 natively support MP4/H.264 video, usually ones that were encoded for the Low-Rez profile... having said that, I'm encoding with the iPod Low-Rez profile, turned off Chapter Markets, turned on 2-pass encoding (my choice), and dropped the Ave bitrate to 500. I tried it with the iPod default settings and it worked fine - I'll know for certain when I'm done encoding my current batch.

With the Zune 30, it doesn't natively support MP4/H.264 video, so that will have to encode it a second time, to WMV.
cdougyfresh

Post by cdougyfresh »

I followed these instructions and all I got was some garbled crap that looked like scrambeled [Censored]. Anyone know what im doin wrong?
homermaster

Post by homermaster »

Found this on the Zune site:

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zune30gb/specs.htm

If you're not sure what any of this means this is what I would recommend...

1. Select source
2. Select destination with either the mp4 or m4v file extension.
3. Output Settings - use an H.264 for video, AAC for audio, set width at 320, and leave height blank.
5. Picture Settings - select autocrop.
6. Video Settings - do a 2-pass for better quality and 300-400 MB if that's what you want.
7. Audio & Subtitles - you can change the audio bitrate to 128 (or lower) and still have good quality sound. This will give more space (about 1 MB for every 4 minutes) to the video and improve its quality.

I would recommend an average bitrate under Video Settings rather than a specific size. The Zune maxes out at about 1500 kbps. This translates to about 10.75 MB per minute (with 160 kbps audio) or 1.5 hours per GB. I tried 300 kbps (with 128 kbps audio) and got about 3.1 MB per minute or almost 5.25 hours per GB and it still looked pretty good.

This should yield a Zune compatible file and should not need to be re-encodes into a wmv. If you follow these steps and it still turns it into a wmv the Zune software is likely doing this by default and I would look into its preferences to change this. Encoding twice like this will degrade the video and is unnecessary.
lookgravity

Post by lookgravity »

I use these settings when I am encoding videos to sync with my Zune:

This method allows you to use with your zune WITHOUT transcoding the video when you sync, saving a lot of time

1. Set destination with mp4 extention
2. Output Settings- MPEG 4 for Video, AAC for audio, leave width and height blank
3.Picture Settings- Select Anamorphic Par and Chapter Markers
4.Video Settings- Just one pass, AVG Bitrate at 1200 kbps
5. Audio Settings- I left it at 160 kbps audio

You can play around with the bitrate of the video and audio to reduce the file size.
M1chael

Post by M1chael »

Just curious what software was used to rip the protection from the dvd before using handbrake to format for the Zune? I checked around at some different posts and lot of them mention anydvd but of course that isn't free. I was looking for some freeware to rip......I have used dvd decrypter in the past but cant seem to get the entire movie (for some reason it jumps right into the beginning of the movie and doesn't show previews or the start menu?)

Thanks,
Michael
cdc04

Re: Ripping to Zune instructions - Easy as pie

Post by cdc04 »

spineblaZe wrote:Zune plays .m4v files perfectly, just use that container.

1. Uncheck Anamorphic PAR on the main screen
2. Click "Browse" and type the name of the movie, it should automatically assign a .m4v extension
3. Type in 320x240 for the resolution
4. Set your target size in the video tab, I use between 300 or 400 for most movies, this is personal preference
5. Encode! Once it's done, load it to your Zune. *EDIT* Your Zune software will then automatically convert the files to wmv format. Takes some time, but works.
Ok - I am new to ripping DVDs to my 30G Zune. I downloaded Handbrake for Windows (GUI version) and I "unchecked" anamorphic PAR as stated on step 1 and when I go to step 2 for "Browse" and I enter the movie title "300" I recently purchased and is in my "D" drive and want to rip, a message comes up stating "No title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source. Please refer to the FAQ (see Help Menu)." Is there something that I need to do first like "decode" or something. I am not sure what decoding means or does. Please help me put a movie on my zune. I would like to add dvd movies I have purchased if possible.
Jon123

Post by Jon123 »

cdc04 wrote:
Ok - I am new to ripping DVDs to my 30G Zune. I downloaded Handbrake for Windows (GUI version) and I "unchecked" anamorphic PAR as stated on step 1 and when I go to step 2 for "Browse" and I enter the movie title "300" I recently purchased and is in my "D" drive and want to rip, a message comes up stating "No title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source. Please refer to the FAQ (see Help Menu)." Is there something that I need to do first like "decode" or something. I am not sure what decoding means or does. Please help me put a movie on my zune. I would like to add dvd movies I have purchased if possible.

I use DVD43 to unprotect the dvd. Just google it and you will fined a free download.

I was wondering what setting do i change to make the dvd full screen on the Zune?
cdc04

Decrypted, Encoded (m4v/mp4) Now Stuck!

Post by cdc04 »

Ok - After decrypting the copyright protection and using handbrake to encode the movie to m4v/mp4, my zune software is still not recognizing any "videos" on my computer even though I have it saved as a ".m4v" file. I have a 30G Zune, do I need to convert to a WMV now? If so, does anyone know any free WMV conversion downloads and if not, does anyone know what I have to do next?
M1chael

Post by M1chael »

I am running into the same thing as cdc04.....I followed the instructions exactly according to the posting by "lookgravity" on 12/28, and handbrake converted the video but my zune software will not pick it up...I have tried to delete the folder on my zune software and then add it again hoping it would sync up again and recognize the new video but it will not. When handbrake converted the video it does have a quicktime icon next to it and when you hover it is in the mp4 format....not sure why it's not working...any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
M1chael

Looking for some assistance.....

Post by M1chael »

If someone does not have an answer as to why my Zune software will not pick up or transfer the file once Handbrake has ran, how about some information on converting the file to .avi? I heard Zune will play .avi files as well as mp4 or wmv.

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks,
Michael
royone
Enlightened

Post by royone »

You can try transcoding the file with VLC. Don't actually transcode audio or video, just select a new container.

No idea whether it will make Zune happy, but it doesn't take a lot of effort or time.
homermaster

Post by homermaster »

Michael
(This is all windows stuff.) For ripping I would recommend DVD Shrink. It is the easiest ripping program out there but it can't read everything. I have used DVD43 and it works most of the time but not always. If DVD Shrink can't read the DVD using it in conjunction with DVD Shrink may work. However, if DVD Shrink can't read the DVD I use RipIt4Me. It is the best ripping tool I have found to remove copy protections. There is not a DVD that I have encountered that it hasn't been able to rip and clean.

If you're on a Mac use Mac the ripper. My experience with it has been rather limited since I don't own a Mac but I was impressed with what I saw.

As for the settings for Zune, as RandyRants said in a previous post, it depends on the model you have. The 4GB/8GB/80GB model will handle WMV, MPEG-4, and H.264. The 30GB model will only handle WMV and will transcode MPEG-4 and H.264 on sync.

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/compare.htm

For the 4GB/8GB/80GB the site says:
"VIDEO SUPPORT
Windows Media Video (WMV) (.wmv) – Main and Simple Profile, CBR or VBR, up to 3.0 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Zune software will transcode HD WMV files at device sync
"MPEG-4 (MP4/M4V) (.mp4) Part 2 video[4] – Simple Profile up to 2.5 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Zune software will transcode HD MPEG-4 files at device sync
"H.264 video[4] – Baseline Profile up to 2.5 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Zune software will transcode HD H.264 files at device sync"

I use 720x480 with H.264 at an avg. bitrate of 1500kbps on my 42" TV and it looks great. This Zune can handle up to 2500kbps on both H.264 and MPEG-4. If you're planning on connecting it to a TV through its AV port (80GB only) I would recommend using a higher resolution and bitrate up to 720x480 and 1500-2000kbps, but if you are just going to watch it on the Zune you should use it's native resolution of 320x240 and a bitrate of 300-500kbps.

For the 30GB the site says:
Windows Media Video (WMV) (.wmv) – Main and Simple Profile, CBR or VBR, up to 800,000 bps average video bit rate and 1,500,000 bps peak video bit rate; 320 pixels x 240 pixels (4:3 QVGA) or 320 pixels x 180 pixels (16:9 QVGA) up to 30 frames per second. Zune software will transcode VGA HD WMV files at device sync.
MPEG-4 (MP4/M4V) (.mp4) Part 2 video[5] – Zune software will transcode MPEG-4 files at device sync.
H.264 video[5] –Zune software will transcode H.264 files at device sync.

So no matter the video format you use in HandBrake the Zune software will transcode into WMV.

This means that my preceding post only applies to the 4GB/8GB/80GB models. If you tried it with the 30GB model and it didn't work I apologize for the confusion.

And (surprisingly) no avi support on any Zune.
M1chael

Post by M1chael »

homermaster:

I read what you had to say and first let me say thank you for the response. I noticed you said you use DVDshrink to rip dvd's, I thought it only compressed the dvd's (not rip them) kind of like nero recode 2 (which is what i use when i want to make a duplicate copy of a dvd). Anyway, I know you also said that if DVDshrink would not rip it then the ripit4me program does everything else....even Sony???? I currently use DVD decrypter to rip my DVD's and it has done an ok job (will not do Sony) and I was advised to stay away from ripit4me becse it is not updated anymore so eventually there will be a movie with copyright stuff on it that it will not be able to touch. Back to my issue, I really don't have an issue at this point with getting the dvd's ripped, it is getting them converted to a file format that my zune will read and place into its video file under the zune software (I have a 30g gen1 zune). I also read what you stated about the different zune's and what file format my 30g zune will take which is WMV and then the software converts or transcode to MPEG-4. Well when I used the program WM Converter 2 it did convert the ripped dvd to a wmv file and it did eventually transcode and showed up under my zune software. Of course this took 3 hrs to do, I was looking to speed things up a little and decided to try Handbrake. I followed the directions given by "lookgravity" word for word but my zune software did not pick up the video that was converted by Handbrake. The user "lookgravity" stated on 12/28/07 that if you followed his instructions you could use Handbrake to convert the video file to a MPEG4 that way the zune software would not have to transcode = thus saving time. I attempted to do that (set destination with mp4 ext basically changing the ext on the end of the file that you import) and followed the rest of the directions and it did convert the video file but my zune software will not pick it up for some reason.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with using Handbrake to convert the "ripped" video file to MPEG4 and getting the Zune software to pick up that you have a video file in your folder waiting (all this of course without the zune software itself converting anything, becse this adds a lot of time to the process)

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Coffeeaddictnova

Post by Coffeeaddictnova »

Hi,

First time poster here. I recently bought a Zune 80GB. I am ripping some of my own DVD's using DVD43 to decrypt said DVD's. Then I will start Handbrake (latest version as of 2/17/2008, Version 0.9.1).

The few times I have used Handbrake, I only changed the Output Settings to "Encoder - H.264" or "Encoder - Mpeg 4". Every other setting is left unchanged (i.e., default settings), as indicated below:

Audio Encoder: AAC

Width and Height: unchanged/untouched (i.e., default)

First tab (Picture settings): Anamorphic PAR and Chapter Markers are left checked.

Second tab (Video settings): 2-Pass Encoding and Turbo 1st Pass are left checked. Average Bitrate is left at 1500 kbps.

Third tab (Audio & Subtitles), default settings are: Bitrate 160 kbps; sample rate 48 khz; track 1 automatic; track 1 mix automatic.

Fouth and fifth tabs: unchanged.

So far, this settings work fine with my Zune 80. I just wonder if there is any additional ways (i.e,. tweaking some settings) the video resolution may be improved. So, could any experienced ZUNE 80GB users post their favorite Handbrake settings?

Thanks in advance!

Javier
homermaster

Post by homermaster »

Hey Michael,
sorry it's taken me this long to get back .... school has been hectic and I haven't checked this for a while.

RipIt4Me uses DVD Decrypter as a front end to rip the DVD. It's able to break Sony's ARccOS protection by creating and importing a protected sectors list (psl). It's development was halted because it uses DVD Decrypter which was acquired by Macromedia and they did not approve it's use. You can alternatively create a psl file using pgcedit and a psl2 plugin but it takes a few more steps. RipIt4Me just does it all for you and gives you the option to clean the ifo and vob files after the rip. There may come a time where RipIt4Me will run into something that it can't handle but I haven't seen anything yet.

As for your 30G Zune issue there isn't much HandBrake can do for you. I looked briefly at WM Converter 2 and if it can give you compatible files for your 30G that's probably the best way to go. I know that Microsoft pushed really hard to get the Zune out for Christmas its first year and they didn't seem to care much about compatibility. Seems to be their business model lately.

As for tweaking the settings for the 80G, if I owned one :), I would:
1. Select source
2. Select destination with the mp4 file extension.
3. Output Settings - use an H.264 for video, AAC for audio, set width at 320, and leave height blank.
5. Picture Settings - select autocrop, uncheck Anamorphic PAR and Chapter Markers
6. Video Settings - do a 2-pass with a turbo first pass for better quality and Avg Btrate of 500 Kbps
7. Audio & Subtitles - Bitrate to 128.

If I wanted to connect the Zune to a TV I would follow the above except:
3. Output Settings - set width to 720
6. Video Settings - Avg Btrate of 1800 Kbps
7. Audio & Subtitles - Bitrate to 160.

Hope this helps ya out Coffeeadictnova. Woohoo!!
homermaster

Post by homermaster »

Gonna make me eat my words ... Rush Hour 3 just made RipIt4Me crash. I haven't liked it so much in the past but I downloaded DVDFab and it isn't so bad. They have a free version that will rip the full DVD or just a main title. You can find it here:

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Hope it helps.
IAmTheMonty

Post by IAmTheMonty »

I used it for my 30gig, and the zune software found it, but the movie looks like weird garbled colorful crap. Any help?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

IAmTheMonty wrote:I used it for my 30gig, and the zune software found it, but the movie looks like weird garbled colorful crap. Any help?
Yes. Don't double-post.

Rodney
tigerborn62

Post by tigerborn62 »

Easy as pie????
Um, for who? Not me.
I did everything suggested, and my 80g Zune still transcodes files and it takes forever doing it, too. Am kind of frustrated at this point.
HDemchick

Post by HDemchick »

It didn't work for me, either.

Hi. I'm new here--recommended by a friend trying to help me get a DVD onto my Zune. This is a video-to-DVD transfer, and I have both versions, so there aren't any legal issues here, or copyright protection issues or whatnot. I just need to get the DVD from point A to point B.

First I tried spineblaZe's advice from the top of the page. I ended up with a file, but that file was corrupt and could not be played by any media program on my computer, much less my Zune. It took seven hours to come up with this file. I did see the word "Failure" pop up nearly every second on the DOS page that opens up when Handbrake is operating. Is that normal?

Second, I used lookgravity's plan. That one yielded no file at all, despite taking hours to complete. The only record of it on my computer is a shortcut on my My Documents menu, which leads to nothing.

I haven't tried the other methods yet, but given the amount of time the process takes even when it fails, is there something else I should be doing? Anything specific you guys can recommend?

-Harrison
buzzin

Post by buzzin »

I have the same problem. When I rip a new DVD in mp4 format, Zune80 attempts to transcode it on sync. When I do the same thing using DVDFab, Zune does not attempt to transcode.

So my solution is using DVDFab to rip at 720x480 any new DVDs to .mp4 (the only thing you have to remember is turn off the autocropping or you lose the widescreen letterboxing).

However, I still need a solution for converting my existing DIVX AVI rips to MP4 or WMV format for the Zune. Does anyone have any suggestions? My goal is to get good quality conversions and NOT have to wait for Zune to transcode it on sync.