HandBrake 0.9.5 Discussion Thread

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Gretyl

Re: HandBrake 0.9.5 Discussion Thread

Post by Gretyl »

I've just begun a fairly extensive encoding session when I saw 0.9.5's release announced. Do the updated x264/ffmpeg offer significant (>10%) quality or performance wins versus what 0.9.4 offers?
davidfstr
Enlightened

Post by davidfstr »

mduell wrote:Who's taking bets on the first bug that will come up in a forum every week for the next year? Think 0.9.4 6ch AAC, VC1, FAS, etc.
If we get more new anime users, I'm betting the SSA tickets will keep coming up. Still some kinks that need to be worked out there.

For all other users? My guess is some Blu-ray issue, under the assumption that Blu-ray players will eventually become standard for computers.
ericmorand

Post by ericmorand »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the update, I can't wait to test the new BluRay features.

I'm mainly using the CLI and am wondering if I can keep using "--quality" option with percent (--quality 0.7) or if I should switch to RF (--quality 19).

Thanks for your support,

Eric.
TimeMachine

Post by TimeMachine »

Just a question about VOBSUB subtitles in MP4.

Possible to have them soft ? Usefull on iPhone / iPad / iTunes ?

CC was so welcomed last year. Now im so wishing to be able to have soft subtitles from VOBSUB too to have them on Iphone et iPad too, same way as we can have Closed Caption. SOFT. For now on, i can only burn the vobsub on my files for iTunes.

Is this finally soft subtitles for VOBSUB on iTunes coming with 0.9.5 ?

Thanks in advance for any answer.
avp

Post by avp »

I have a question. Have new version more subtitles encoding options? Specially CP1250 for CE subtitles?
whackaxe

Post by whackaxe »

Congrats for this fine, fine release! I've been using the nightlies for a while and am loving the general experience, the x264 advanced panel is a godsend. For most of my encoding work (web video and animation) Handbrake is THE best solution. Thanks to all the devs who worked on this release :)
Zoolook

Post by Zoolook »

Thanks guys, this is awesome as always.

One question. I have recently moved my encoding to Windows from Mac, my PC just has so much more grunt, but I've been unable to rip straight from DVD like I could on a Mac with VLC installed. How do most people approach this in Wndows? I'm on Win 7 64-bit and currently use DVD decrypter, but the workflow is clumsy.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

I know I'm probably going to get told "just use it and find out" but before I overwrite my .94 version I'm curious to know if the blu-ray support means it reads the playlist files similar to the way BDInfo does, in order to get the right streams (right now the preferred workflow is to use BDInfo to make sure the stream isn't composed of more than one M2TS file -- if so, use TSMuxer to create a single one from the right playlist and feed that into Handbrake).
CancerFra84

Post by CancerFra84 »

the final 0.9.5 version arrives from svn3728, why not from 3736?
sorry for my english
mcmusic
Experienced

Post by mcmusic »

Devs - thank you for this release, great stuff.

Question re cli:

I looked at the trac and also the - help and found nothing obvious - can you confirm any changes between cli from 9.4 ? Have any switches been deprecated?

Example - my scripts use -L for longest title , I see --main-feature now and no -L listed.....
skatch

Post by skatch »

Thanks for the help.
dan_hin

Post by dan_hin »

I've been using handbrake for the last couple of months now, and I'd just like to take the time to say thanks for the continued development of what is now a vital part of our encoding pipeline.

so.... thanks!

Dan
detroit

Post by detroit »

Nice work for 0.9.5. I noticed on the Windows version the DRC can be set to level '4' yet the Mac OS X version selects '3.75' as the highest? Is this an issue with the rotary dial widget? I tried to double click the numerical value to enter 4.0 but it doesn't allow alteration.

BTW does this value have any reference or just a random arbitrary number? What exactly is the algorithm computing exactly? Gain reduction? and if so what ratio is it compressing at 6:1, 10:1, 20:1? Is the any make up gain applied? What is the output level ceiling?

DRC is extremely valuable in Handbrake, I wish however it had a higher value for more aggressive gain reduction. I also wish it was possible to be applied to any audio format other than be limited to AC3. As it stands now to take advantage of DRC one must transcode both video and audio streams if the source is not AC3 then perform a second transcode on the resulting file to enable the DRC to process the newly transcoded AC3 stream. Unfortunately Handbrake does not make it possible to pass thru the video without any encoding in order to just encode the audio to eventually get DRC. Sadly this multi-step process is necessitated with files containing AAC audio since the WDTV Live cannot play any video in sync with AAC audio. The WDTV plays back any file in sync with AC3, MP3, DTS etc.

The last issue with Handbrake I've found is it has no "Add All Titles to Queue" function. It is excessively tedious trying to add 100+ titles individually two times over when trying to get audio transcoded to AC3, then to have it processed with DRC. The pain is like a hot needle puncturing the skin under the toenails and inserted deeply.

Aside from that I love the GUI, beautifully designed, simple and clean. Nice work.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

ericmorand wrote:I'm mainly using the CLI and am wondering if I can keep using "--quality" option with percent (--quality 0.7) or if I should switch to RF (--quality 19).
Why not make the switch now? Fraction isn't gone yet, but eventually it will be.
Zoolook wrote:One question. I have recently moved my encoding to Windows from Mac, my PC just has so much more grunt, but I've been unable to rip straight from DVD like I could on a Mac with VLC installed. How do most people approach this in Wndows? I'm on Win 7 64-bit and currently use DVD decrypter, but the workflow is clumsy.
AnyDVD
mkelley wrote:I know I'm probably going to get told "just use it and find out" but before I overwrite my .94 version I'm curious to know if the blu-ray support means it reads the playlist files similar to the way BDInfo does, in order to get the right streams (right now the preferred workflow is to use BDInfo to make sure the stream isn't composed of more than one M2TS file -- if so, use TSMuxer to create a single one from the right playlist and feed that into Handbrake).
Yes, that's what Blu-ray support means. TS support already existed.
Last edited by mduell on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

TimeMachine wrote:Just a question about VOBSUB subtitles in MP4.

Possible to have them soft ?
yes
Usefull on iPhone / iPad / iTunes ?
no
CC was so welcomed last year. Now im so wishing to be able to have soft subtitles from VOBSUB too to have them on Iphone et iPad too, same way as we can have Closed Caption. SOFT. For now on, i can only burn the vobsub on my files for iTunes.

Is this finally soft subtitles for VOBSUB on iTunes coming with 0.9.5 ?
vobsub in mp4 uses a non-standard spec created by nero. Apple devices don't support it.
bproffit

Post by bproffit »

I had been using a nightly because of problems with hangs. I just wanted to confirm that 0.9.5 is working great on a couple of files that consistently crashed 0.9.4. Many thanks, folks.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

skatch wrote:(since it's no longer labeled "passthrough")
AC3 Passthrough is still labeled AC3 Passthrough. The new AC3 encoder is labeled AC3.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Actually all files are from 3735
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

detroit wrote:DRC is extremely valuable in Handbrake, I wish however it had a higher value for more aggressive gain reduction. I also wish it was possible to be applied to any audio format other than be limited to AC3. As it stands now to take advantage of DRC one must transcode both video and audio streams if the source is not AC3 then perform a second transcode on the resulting file to enable the DRC to process the newly transcoded AC3 stream. Unfortunately Handbrake does not make it possible to pass thru the video without any encoding in order to just encode the audio to eventually get DRC. Sadly this multi-step process is necessitated with files containing AAC audio since the WDTV Live cannot play any video in sync with AAC audio. The WDTV plays back any file in sync with AC3, MP3, DTS etc.
You could handle the audio seperately and remux. Or just remux the generation 1 video with the generation 2 audio.
CancerFra84

Post by CancerFra84 »

s55 wrote:
Actually all files are from 3735
thanks for the explanation
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

To all developers: thanks for a another great release.

As a non technical user some basic queries:

What advantage does the Apple TV 2 preset gives us over the old Preset? Will the Apple TV2 files be playable on the old Apple TV?

Will the same Apple TV 2 encodes be playable on an iPad or will we have to re-encode everything?

Finally is AC3 encoding more advantageous to unencoded AC3 passthru?

Thanks for all your help!

Michael
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

michaelm wrote:To all developers: thanks for a another great release.

As a non technical user some basic queries:

What advantage does the Apple TV 2 preset gives us over the old Preset?
None. It just doesn't target the same device.
michaelm wrote:Will the Apple TV2 files be playable on the old Apple TV?
No.
michaelm wrote:Will the same Apple TV 2 encodes be playable on an iPad or will we have to re-encode everything?
Yes, the iPad will play files encoded with the AppleTV 2 preset.
michaelm wrote:Finally is AC3 encoding more advantageous to unencoded AC3 passthru?
It's not the same thing. AC3 Passthrough passes the source AC3 track through unmodifed (obviously, it only works if the source has an AC3 track).
The AC3 encoder encodes any source audio track to AC3 (useful if you have a receiver or a device that doesn't support DTS, for example).
It is not meant to be used for AC3 source tracks (it'll work, but passthrough is preferable).
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Fantastic response. Thanks Rodeo

Cheers

Michael
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

michaelm wrote:What advantage does the Apple TV 2 preset gives us over the old Preset?
Better compression, using the advanced H.264 features that tv2 supports.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

My thanks to the development team!

I can't wait to try this version.

SC